|Entry||Database: EMDB / ID: EMD-11577|
|Title||Outer Dynein Arm-Shulin complex - full tail region (Tetrahymena thermophila)|
|Sample||Tetrahymena thermophila ODA Dyh4 motor|
|Biological species||Tetrahymena thermophila (eukaryote)|
|Method||single particle reconstruction / cryo EM / Resolution: 6.66 Å|
|Authors||Mali GR / Abid Ali F / Lau CK / Begum F / Boulanger J / Howe JD / Chen ZA / Rappsilber J / Skehel M / Carter AP|
|Funding support|| United Kingdom, 2 items |
|Citation||Journal: Science / Year: 2021|
Title: Shulin packages axonemal outer dynein arms for ciliary targeting.
Authors: Girish R Mali / Ferdos Abid Ali / Clinton K Lau / Farida Begum / Jérôme Boulanger / Jonathan D Howe / Zhuo A Chen / Juri Rappsilber / Mark Skehel / Andrew P Carter /
Abstract: The main force generators in eukaryotic cilia and flagella are axonemal outer dynein arms (ODAs). During ciliogenesis, these ~1.8-megadalton complexes are assembled in the cytoplasm and targeted to ...The main force generators in eukaryotic cilia and flagella are axonemal outer dynein arms (ODAs). During ciliogenesis, these ~1.8-megadalton complexes are assembled in the cytoplasm and targeted to cilia by an unknown mechanism. Here, we used the ciliate to identify two factors (Q22YU3 and Q22MS1) that bind ODAs in the cytoplasm and are required for ODA delivery to cilia. Q22YU3, which we named Shulin, locked the ODA motor domains into a closed conformation and inhibited motor activity. Cryo-electron microscopy revealed how Shulin stabilized this compact form of ODAs by binding to the dynein tails. Our findings provide a molecular explanation for how newly assembled dyneins are packaged for delivery to the cilia.
|Validation Report||Summary, Full report, XML, About validation report|
|Structure viewer||EM map: |
Downloads & links
|File||Download / File: emd_11577.map.gz / Format: CCP4 / Size: 347.6 MB / Type: IMAGE STORED AS FLOATING POINT NUMBER (4 BYTES)|
|Projections & slices|
Images are generated by Spider.
|Voxel size||X=Y=Z: 1.11 Å|
|Symmetry||Space group: 1|
CCP4 map header:
|Projections & Slices|
-Additional map: Mask for full ODA-Shulin tail (Z-flipped, non resampled)...
|Annotation||Mask for full ODA-Shulin tail (Z-flipped, non resampled) to be used with half maps.|
|Projections & Slices|
-Half map: Half map 2 of full ODA-Shulin tail (Z-flipped, non-resampled)
|Annotation||Half map 2 of full ODA-Shulin tail (Z-flipped, non-resampled)|
|Projections & Slices|
-Half map: Half map 1 of full ODA-Shulin tail (Z-flipped, non-resampled)
-Entire Tetrahymena thermophila ODA Dyh4 motor
|Entire||Name: Tetrahymena thermophila ODA Dyh4 motor / Number of components: 1|
-Component #1: protein, Tetrahymena thermophila ODA Dyh4 motor
|Protein||Name: Tetrahymena thermophila ODA Dyh4 motor / Recombinant expression: No|
|Mass||Theoretical: 1.8 MDa|
|Source||Species: Tetrahymena thermophila (eukaryote)|
|Specimen||Specimen state: Particle / Method: cryo EM|
|Sample solution||Specimen conc.: 0.2 mg/mL / pH: 7.4|
|Vitrification||Instrument: FEI VITROBOT MARK IV / Cryogen name: ETHANE / Temperature: 277.15 K / Humidity: 100 %|
-Electron microscopy imaging
|Imaging||Microscope: FEI TITAN|
|Electron gun||Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating voltage: 300 kV / Electron dose: 52 e/Å2 / Illumination mode: FLOOD BEAM|
|Lens||Imaging mode: BRIGHT FIELD|
|Specimen Holder||Model: OTHER|
|Processing||Method: single particle reconstruction / Number of projections: 131142|
|3D reconstruction||Resolution: 6.66 Å / Resolution method: FSC 0.143 CUT-OFF|
|FSC plot (resolution estimation)|
-Atomic model buiding
|Modeling #1||Refinement protocol: rigid body|
-Aug 12, 2020. New: Covid-19 info
New: Covid-19 info
Related info.:Covid-19 info / Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
-Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
Novel coronavirus structure data
- International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) defined the short name of the 2019 coronavirus as "SARS-CoV-2".
The species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2 - nature microbiology
- In the structure databanks used in Yorodumi, some data are registered as the other names, "COVID-19 virus" and "2019-nCoV". Here are the details of the virus and the list of structure data.
Related info.:Yorodumi Speices / Aug 12, 2020. New: Covid-19 info
+Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.:Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
+Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.:Omokage search
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
Related info.:EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi