|Entry||Database: EMDB / ID: 4212|
|Title||BK polyomavirus + 5 mM dithiothreitol|
|Map data||BK polyomavirus treated with 5 mM dithiothreitol|
|Sample||BK polyomavirusBK virus:|
|Method||single particle reconstruction / cryo EM / 6.5 Å resolution|
|Authors||Hurdiss DL / Ranson NA|
|Citation||Journal: Structure / Year: 2018|
Title: The Structure of an Infectious Human Polyomavirus and Its Interactions with Cellular Receptors.
Authors: Daniel L Hurdiss / Martin Frank / Joseph S Snowden / Andrew Macdonald / Neil A Ranson
Abstract: BK polyomavirus (BKV) causes polyomavirus-associated nephropathy and hemorrhagic cystitis in immunosuppressed patients. These are diseases for which we currently have limited treatment options, but ...BK polyomavirus (BKV) causes polyomavirus-associated nephropathy and hemorrhagic cystitis in immunosuppressed patients. These are diseases for which we currently have limited treatment options, but potential therapies could include pre-transplant vaccination with a multivalent BKV vaccine or therapeutics which inhibit capsid assembly or block attachment and entry into target cells. A useful tool in such efforts would be a high-resolution structure of the infectious BKV virion and how this interacts with its full repertoire of cellular receptors. We present the 3.4-Å cryoelectron microscopy structure of native, infectious BKV in complex with the receptor fragment of GT1b ganglioside. We also present structural evidence that BKV can utilize glycosaminoglycans as attachment receptors. This work highlights features that underpin capsid stability and provides a platform for rational design and development of urgently needed pharmacological interventions for BKV-associated diseases.
|Date||Deposition: Dec 15, 2017 / Header (metadata) release: Jan 17, 2018 / Map release: May 2, 2018 / Last update: Jun 13, 2018|
|Structure viewer||EM map: |
Downloads & links
|File||emd_4212.map.gz (map file in CCP4 format, 864001 KB)|
|Projections & slices|
Images are generated by Spider.
|Voxel size||X=Y=Z: 1.0651 Å|
CCP4 map header:
-Entire BK polyomavirus
|Entire||Name: BK polyomavirus / Details: Vero cells / Number of components: 1|
-Component #1: virus, BK polyomavirus
|Virus||Name: BK polyomavirusBK virus / Class: VIRION / Details: Vero cells / Empty: No / Enveloped: No / Isolate: STRAIN|
|Species||Species: BK polyomavirus / Strain: Dunlop|
|Source (natural)||Host Species: Homo sapiens (human)|
|Shell #1||Name of element: Icosahedron / Diameter: 500.0 Å / T number(triangulation number): 7|
|Specimen||Specimen state: particle / Method: cryo EM|
|Sample solution||Specimen conc.: 0.25 mg/ml / pH: 7.5|
|Vitrification||Cryogen name: ETHANE|
-Electron microscopy imaging
Model: Titan Krios / Image courtesy: FEI Company
|Imaging||Microscope: FEI TITAN KRIOS|
|Electron gun||Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating voltage: 300 kV / Electron dose: 66 e/Å2 / Illumination mode: FLOOD BEAM|
|Lens||Imaging mode: BRIGHT FIELD|
|Specimen Holder||Model: OTHER|
|Camera||Detector: FEI FALCON III (4k x 4k)|
-Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
-Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.: Omokage search
+Sep 15, 2016. EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
- New versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi started
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi
+Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
- In 15th Sep 2016, the development versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi will replace the official versions.
- Current version will continue as 'legacy version' for some time.
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi / EM Navigator / Yorodumi
+Apr 13, 2016. Omokage search got faster
Omokage search got faster
- The computation time became ~1/2 compared to the previous version by re-optimization of data accession
- Enjoy "shape similarity" of biomolecules, more!
Related info.: Omokage search
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
Related info.: EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi