|Entry||Database: PDB / ID: 6pzc|
|Title||Cryo-EM structure of the pancreatic beta-cell SUR1 bound to carbamazepine|
|Components||ATP-binding cassette sub-family C member 8|
|Keywords||MEMBRANE PROTEIN / KATP / SUR1 / carbamazepine|
|Function / homology|
Function and homology information
sulfonylurea receptor activity / potassium channel activity / ATPase-coupled transmembrane transporter activity / ATPase activity / integral component of membrane / ATP binding / plasma membrane
ABC transporter transmembrane region / AAA+ ATPase domain / ABC transporter / ABC transporter type 1, transmembrane domain superfamily / P-loop containing nucleoside triphosphate hydrolase / ABC transporter, conserved site / ABC transporter type 1, transmembrane domain / ABC transporter-like / ATP-binding cassette subfamily C member 8 / Sulphonylurea receptor
ATP-binding cassette sub-family C member 8
|Biological species||Cricetus cricetus (black-bellied hamster)|
|Method||ELECTRON MICROSCOPY / single particle reconstruction / cryo EM / Resolution: 4.34 Å|
|Authors||Shyng, S.L. / Yoshioka, C. / Martin, G.M. / Sung, M.W.|
|Funding support|| United States, 1items |
|Citation||Journal: Elife / Year: 2019|
Title: Mechanism of pharmacochaperoning in a mammalian K channel revealed by cryo-EM.
Authors: Gregory M Martin / Min Woo Sung / Zhongying Yang / Laura M Innes / Balamurugan Kandasamy / Larry L David / Craig Yoshioka / Show-Ling Shyng /
Abstract: ATP-sensitive potassium (K) channels composed of a pore-forming Kir6.2 potassium channel and a regulatory ABC transporter sulfonylurea receptor 1 (SUR1) regulate insulin secretion in pancreatic β- ...ATP-sensitive potassium (K) channels composed of a pore-forming Kir6.2 potassium channel and a regulatory ABC transporter sulfonylurea receptor 1 (SUR1) regulate insulin secretion in pancreatic β-cells to maintain glucose homeostasis. Mutations that impair channel folding or assembly prevent cell surface expression and cause congenital hyperinsulinism. Structurally diverse K inhibitors are known to act as pharmacochaperones to correct mutant channel expression, but the mechanism is unknown. Here, we compare cryoEM structures of a mammalian K channel bound to pharmacochaperones glibenclamide, repaglinide, and carbamazepine. We found all three drugs bind within a common pocket in SUR1. Further, we found the N-terminus of Kir6.2 inserted within the central cavity of the SUR1 ABC core, adjacent the drug binding pocket. The findings reveal a common mechanism by which diverse compounds stabilize the Kir6.2 N-terminus within SUR1's ABC core, allowing it to act as a firm 'handle' for the assembly of metastable mutant SUR1-Kir6.2 complexes.
SummaryFull reportAbout validation report
|Structure viewer||Molecule: |
Downloads & links
H: ATP-binding cassette sub-family C member 8
|#1: Protein|| |
Mass: 177333.578 Da / Num. of mol.: 1
Source method: isolated from a genetically manipulated source
Source: (gene. exp.) Cricetus cricetus (black-bellied hamster)
Gene: ABCC8, SUR / Production host: Rattus norvegicus (Norway rat) / References: UniProt: Q09427
|Experiment||Method: ELECTRON MICROSCOPY|
|EM experiment||Aggregation state: PARTICLE / 3D reconstruction method: single particle reconstruction|
|Component||Name: SUR1ABCC8 / Type: COMPLEX / Entity ID: 1 / Source: RECOMBINANT|
|Source (natural)||Organism: Cricetus cricetus (black-bellied hamster)|
|Source (recombinant)||Organism: Rattus norvegicus (Norway rat) / Cell: INS-1|
|Buffer solution||pH: 7.5|
|Specimen||Embedding applied: NO / Shadowing applied: NO / Staining applied: NO / Vitrification applied: YES|
|Specimen support||Details: unspecified / Grid material: GOLD|
|Vitrification||Cryogen name: ETHANE|
-Electron microscopy imaging
Model: Titan Krios / Image courtesy: FEI Company
|Microscopy||Model: FEI TITAN KRIOS|
|Electron gun||Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating voltage: 300 kV / Illumination mode: FLOOD BEAM|
|Electron lens||Mode: BRIGHT FIELDBright-field microscopy|
|Image recording||Electron dose: 40 e/Å2 / Film or detector model: GATAN K2 SUMMIT (4k x 4k)|
|CTF correction||Type: NONE|
|Symmetry||Point symmetry: C1 (asymmetric)|
|3D reconstruction||Resolution: 4.34 Å / Resolution method: FSC 0.143 CUT-OFF / Num. of particles: 499095 / Symmetry type: POINT|
-Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
Novel coronavirus structure data
- International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) defined the short name of the 2019 coronavirus as "SARS-CoV-2".
The species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2 - nature microbiology
- In the structure databanks used in Yorodumi, some data are registered as the other names, "COVID-19 virus" and "2019-nCoV". Here are the details of the virus and the list of structure data.
Related info.:Yorodumi Speices
-Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.:Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
+Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.:Omokage search
+Sep 15, 2016. EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
- New versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi started
Related info.:Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
Related info.:EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi