|Entry||Database: PDB / ID: 6dt0|
|Title||Cryo-EM structure of a mitochondrial calcium uniporter|
|Components||Mitochondrial calcium uniporter|
|Keywords||TRANSPORT PROTEIN / mitochondrial calcium uniporter / calcium-selective ion channel / calcium uptake / uniporter|
|Function / homology||Calcium uniporter protein, C-terminal / MCU family / Mitochondrial calcium uniporter / mitochondrial calcium ion homeostasis / mitochondrion / integral component of membrane / identical protein binding / Uncharacterized protein|
Function and homology information
|Specimen source||Neurospora crassa (fungus)|
|Method||ELECTRON MICROSCOPY / single particle reconstruction / cryo EM / 3.7 Å resolution|
|Authors||Yoo, J. / Wu, M. / Yin, Y. / Herzik, M.A.J. / Lander, G.C. / Lee, S.-Y.|
|Citation||Journal: Science / Year: 2018|
Title: Cryo-EM structure of a mitochondrial calcium uniporter.
Authors: Jiho Yoo / Mengyu Wu / Ying Yin / Mark A Herzik / Gabriel C Lander / Seok-Yong Lee
Abstract: Calcium transport plays an important role in regulating mitochondrial physiology and pathophysiology. The mitochondrial calcium uniporter (MCU) is a calcium-selective ion channel that is the primary ...Calcium transport plays an important role in regulating mitochondrial physiology and pathophysiology. The mitochondrial calcium uniporter (MCU) is a calcium-selective ion channel that is the primary mediator for calcium uptake into the mitochondrial matrix. Here, we present the cryo-electron microscopy structure of the full-length MCU from to an overall resolution of ~3.7 angstroms. Our structure reveals a tetrameric architecture, with the soluble and transmembrane domains adopting different symmetric arrangements within the channel. The conserved W-D-Φ-Φ-E-P-V-T-Y sequence motif of MCU pore forms a selectivity filter comprising two acidic rings separated by one helical turn along the central axis of the channel pore. The structure combined with mutagenesis gives insight into the basis of calcium recognition.
SummaryFull reportAbout validation report
|Date||Deposition: Jun 14, 2018 / Release: Jul 11, 2018|
|Structure viewer||Molecule: |
Downloads & links
A: Mitochondrial calcium uniporter
B: Mitochondrial calcium uniporter
C: Mitochondrial calcium uniporter
D: Mitochondrial calcium uniporter
Mass: 52948.117 Da / Num. of mol.: 4 / Fragment: UNP residues 46-493 / Mutation: Y232A / Source: (gene. exp.) Neurospora crassa (fungus) / Gene: NCU08166 / Production host: Escherichia coli (E. coli) / References: UniProt: Q7S4I4
|#2: Chemical|| ChemComp-CA / |
|Experiment||Method: ELECTRON MICROSCOPY|
|EM experiment||Aggregation state: PARTICLE / Reconstruction method: single particle reconstruction|
|Component||Name: Mitochondrial Calcium Uniporter / Type: COMPLEX / Entity ID: 1 / Source: RECOMBINANT|
|Source (natural)||Organism: Neurospora crassa (fungus)|
|Source (recombinant)||Organism: Escherichia coli (E. coli)|
|Buffer solution||pH: 8|
Details: Final reconstruction comprises ~80% of MCU in nanodisc (crosslinked using BS3) and ~20% MCU in amphipol.
Embedding applied: NO / Shadowing applied: NO / Staining applied: NO / Vitrification applied: YES
|Specimen support||Grid material: GOLD / Grid mesh size: 300 / Grid type: Quantifoil, UltrAuFoil, R1.2/1.3|
|Vitrification||Instrument: HOMEMADE PLUNGER / Cryogen name: ETHANE / Humidity: 100 % / Chamber temperature: 277.15 / Details: 4 second blot time|
-Electron microscopy imaging
Model: Talos Arctica / Image courtesy: FEI Company
|Microscopy||Microscope model: FEI TALOS ARCTICA|
|Electron gun||Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating voltage: 200 / Illumination mode: FLOOD BEAM|
|Electron lens||Mode: BRIGHT FIELDBright-field microscopy / Nominal magnification: 36000 / Nominal defocus max: 2000 / Nominal defocus min: 1000 / Cs: 2.7 / C2 aperture diameter: 70 / Alignment procedure: COMA FREE|
|Specimen holder||Cryogen: NITROGEN / Specimen holder model: FEI TITAN KRIOS AUTOGRID HOLDER|
|Image recording||Electron dose: 65 / Detector mode: COUNTING / Film or detector model: GATAN K2 SUMMIT (4k x 4k)|
|Image scans||Sampling size: 5 / Width: 3710 / Height: 3838|
|CTF correction||Type: PHASE FLIPPING AND AMPLITUDE CORRECTION|
|Particle selection||Details: 1,791,114 particles of MCU in amphipol, 1,895,054 particles of crosslinked MCU in nanodisc|
Number of particles selected: 3686168
|Symmetry||Point symmetry: C2|
|3D reconstruction||Resolution: 3.7 / Resolution method: FSC 0.143 CUT-OFF / Number of particles: 36537 / Symmetry type: POINT|
|Atomic model building||Overall b value: 100|
-Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.: Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
-Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.: Omokage search
+Sep 15, 2016. EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
- New versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi started
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi
+Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
- In 15th Sep 2016, the development versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi will replace the official versions.
- Current version will continue as 'legacy version' for some time.
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi / EM Navigator / Yorodumi
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
Related info.: EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi