|Entry||Database: EMDB / ID: EMD-20924|
|Title||Single particle cryo-EM structure of KvAP|
|Sample||KvAP-6E1 Fab complex:|
KvAP / 6E1 Fab / Voltage-gated potassium channel
|Function / homology||Ion transport domain / Voltage-gated potassium channel / voltage-gated potassium channel activity / regulation of ion transmembrane transport / voltage-gated potassium channel complex / identical protein binding / Voltage-gated potassium channel|
Function and homology information
|Biological species||Aeropyrum pernix (archaea) / unidentified (others)|
|Method||single particle reconstruction / cryo EM / Resolution: 5.9 Å|
|Authors||Tao X / MacKinnon R|
|Funding support|| United States, 1 items |
|Citation||Journal: Elife / Year: 2019|
Title: Cryo-EM structure of the KvAP channel reveals a non-domain-swapped voltage sensor topology.
Authors: Xiao Tao / Roderick MacKinnon /
Abstract: Conductance in voltage-gated ion channels is regulated by membrane voltage through structural domains known as voltage sensors. A single structural class of voltage sensor domain exists, but two ...Conductance in voltage-gated ion channels is regulated by membrane voltage through structural domains known as voltage sensors. A single structural class of voltage sensor domain exists, but two different modes of voltage sensor attachment to the pore occur in nature: domain-swapped and non-domain-swapped. Since the more thoroughly studied Kv1-7, Nav and Cav channels have domain-swapped voltage sensors, much less is known about non-domain-swapped voltage-gated ion channels. In this paper, using cryo-EM, we show that KvAP from has non-domain-swapped voltage sensors as well as other unusual features. The new structure, together with previous functional data, suggests that KvAP and the Shaker channel, to which KvAP is most often compared, probably undergo rather different voltage-dependent conformational changes when they open.
|Validation Report||PDB-ID: 6uwm|
SummaryFull reportAbout validation report
|Structure viewer||EM map: |
Downloads & links
|File||Download / File: emd_20924.map.gz / Format: CCP4 / Size: 103 MB / Type: IMAGE STORED AS FLOATING POINT NUMBER (4 BYTES)|
|Projections & slices|
Images are generated by Spider.
|Voxel size||X=Y=Z: 1.028 Å|
|Symmetry||Space group: 1|
CCP4 map header:
-Entire KvAP-6E1 Fab complex
|Entire||Name: KvAP-6E1 Fab complex / Number of components: 4|
-Component #1: protein, KvAP-6E1 Fab complex
|Protein||Name: KvAP-6E1 Fab complex / Recombinant expression: No|
|Mass||Theoretical: 200 kDa|
-Component #2: protein, KvAP
|Protein||Name: KvAP / Details: KvAP tetramer / Recombinant expression: No|
|Mass||Theoretical: 130 kDa|
|Source||Species: Aeropyrum pernix (archaea)|
|Source (engineered)||Expression System: Escherichia coli BL21(DE3) (bacteria) / Vector: pET28a|
-Component #3: protein, 6E1 Fab
|Protein||Name: 6E1 Fab / Recombinant expression: No|
|Source||Species: unidentified (others)|
-Component #4: protein, Voltage-gated potassium channel
|Protein||Name: Voltage-gated potassium channel / Number of Copies: 4 / Recombinant expression: No|
|Mass||Theoretical: 31.649207 kDa|
|Source||Species: Aeropyrum pernix (archaea)|
|Source (engineered)||Expression System: Escherichia coli BL21(DE3) (bacteria)|
|Specimen||Specimen state: Particle / Method: cryo EM|
|Sample solution||Specimen conc.: 6 mg/mL / pH: 8|
|Vitrification||Instrument: FEI VITROBOT MARK IV / Cryogen name: ETHANE / Temperature: 295 K / Humidity: 100 % / Details: Blot for 4 seconds before plunging..|
-Electron microscopy imaging
Model: Titan Krios / Image courtesy: FEI Company
|Imaging||Microscope: FEI TITAN KRIOS|
|Electron gun||Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating voltage: 300 kV / Electron dose: 75 e/Å2 / Illumination mode: FLOOD BEAM|
|Lens||Magnification: 29000.0 X (nominal) / Cs: 2.7 mm / Imaging mode: BRIGHT FIELD / Defocus: 800.0 - 2200.0 nm|
|Specimen Holder||Model: FEI TITAN KRIOS AUTOGRID HOLDER|
|Camera||Detector: GATAN K2 SUMMIT (4k x 4k)|
|Image acquisition||Number of digital images: 8000|
|Processing||Method: single particle reconstruction / Applied symmetry: C4 (4 fold cyclic) / Number of projections: 67000|
|3D reconstruction||Software: FREALIGN / Resolution: 5.9 Å / Resolution method: FSC 0.143 CUT-OFF|
-Atomic model buiding
-Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.: Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
-Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.: Omokage search
+Sep 15, 2016. EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
- New versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi started
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi
+Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
- In 15th Sep 2016, the development versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi will replace the official versions.
- Current version will continue as 'legacy version' for some time.
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi / EM Navigator / Yorodumi
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
Related info.: EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi