|Entry||Database: EMDB / ID: EMD-0561|
|Title||Structure of the human frataxin-bound iron-sulfur cluster assembly complex|
|Sample||The human frataxin-bound iron-sulfur cluster assembly complex|
|Biological species||Homo sapiens (human)|
|Method||single particle reconstruction / cryo EM / Resolution: 3.4 Å|
|Authors||Fox NG / Yu X|
|Citation||Journal: Nat Commun / Year: 2019|
Title: Structure of the human frataxin-bound iron-sulfur cluster assembly complex provides insight into its activation mechanism.
Authors: Nicholas G Fox / Xiaodi Yu / Xidong Feng / Henry J Bailey / Alain Martelli / Joseph F Nabhan / Claire Strain-Damerell / Christine Bulawa / Wyatt W Yue / Seungil Han /
Abstract: The core machinery for de novo biosynthesis of iron-sulfur clusters (ISC), located in the mitochondria matrix, is a five-protein complex containing the cysteine desulfurase NFS1 that is activated by ...The core machinery for de novo biosynthesis of iron-sulfur clusters (ISC), located in the mitochondria matrix, is a five-protein complex containing the cysteine desulfurase NFS1 that is activated by frataxin (FXN), scaffold protein ISCU, accessory protein ISD11, and acyl-carrier protein ACP. Deficiency in FXN leads to the loss-of-function neurodegenerative disorder Friedreich's ataxia (FRDA). Here the 3.2 Å resolution cryo-electron microscopy structure of the FXN-bound active human complex, containing two copies of the NFS1-ISD11-ACP-ISCU-FXN hetero-pentamer, delineates the interactions of FXN with other component proteins of the complex. FXN binds at the interface of two NFS1 and one ISCU subunits, modifying the local environment of a bound zinc ion that would otherwise inhibit NFS1 activity in complexes without FXN. Our structure reveals how FXN facilitates ISC production through stabilizing key loop conformations of NFS1 and ISCU at the protein-protein interfaces, and suggests how FRDA clinical mutations affect complex formation and FXN activation.
|Date||Deposition: Feb 14, 2019 / Header (metadata) release: Mar 13, 2019 / Map release: May 29, 2019 / Update: May 29, 2019|
|Structure viewer||EM map: |
Downloads & links
|File||Download / File: emd_0561.map.gz / Format: CCP4 / Size: 30.5 MB / Type: IMAGE STORED AS FLOATING POINT NUMBER (4 BYTES)|
|Projections & slices|
Images are generated by Spider.
|Voxel size||X=Y=Z: 1.086 Å|
|Symmetry||Space group: 1|
CCP4 map header:
-Entire The human frataxin-bound iron-sulfur cluster assembly complex
|Entire||Name: The human frataxin-bound iron-sulfur cluster assembly complex|
Number of components: 1
-Component #1: protein, The human frataxin-bound iron-sulfur cluster assembly complex
|Protein||Name: The human frataxin-bound iron-sulfur cluster assembly complex|
Recombinant expression: No
|Mass||Experimental: 186 kDa|
|Source||Species: Homo sapiens (human)|
|Source (engineered)||Expression System: Escherichia coli 'BL21-Gold(DE3)pLysS AG' (bacteria)|
|Specimen||Specimen state: Particle / Method: cryo EM|
|Sample solution||pH: 7.5|
|Vitrification||Cryogen name: ETHANE|
-Electron microscopy imaging
Model: Titan Krios / Image courtesy: FEI Company
|Imaging||Microscope: FEI TITAN KRIOS|
|Electron gun||Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating voltage: 300 kV / Electron dose: 42 e/Å2 / Illumination mode: FLOOD BEAM|
|Lens||Imaging mode: BRIGHT FIELD|
|Specimen Holder||Model: OTHER|
|Camera||Detector: GATAN K2 SUMMIT (4k x 4k)|
|Processing||Method: single particle reconstruction / Applied symmetry: C1 (asymmetric) / Number of projections: 267153|
|3D reconstruction||Resolution: 3.4 Å / Resolution method: FSC 0.143 CUT-OFF|
|FSC plot (resolution estimation)|
-Atomic model buiding
-Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.: Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
-Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.: Omokage search
+Sep 15, 2016. EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
- New versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi started
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi
+Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
- In 15th Sep 2016, the development versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi will replace the official versions.
- Current version will continue as 'legacy version' for some time.
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi / EM Navigator / Yorodumi
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
Related info.: EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi