|Title||Structure of the translating ribosome arrested by cycloheximide.|
|Journal, issue, pages||Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, Vol. 118, Issue 48, Year 2021|
|Publish date||Nov 30, 2021|
|Authors||Lunda Shen / Zhaoming Su / Kailu Yang / Cheng Wu / Thomas Becker / Deborah Bell-Pedersen / Junjie Zhang / Matthew S Sachs /|
|PubMed Abstract||Ribosomes translate RNA into proteins. The protein synthesis inhibitor cycloheximide (CHX) is widely used to inhibit eukaryotic ribosomes engaged in translation elongation. However, the lack of ...Ribosomes translate RNA into proteins. The protein synthesis inhibitor cycloheximide (CHX) is widely used to inhibit eukaryotic ribosomes engaged in translation elongation. However, the lack of structural data for actively translating polyribosomes stalled by CHX leaves unanswered the question of which elongation step is inhibited. We elucidated CHX's mechanism of action based on the cryo-electron microscopy structure of actively translating ribosomes bound with CHX at 2.7-Å resolution. The ribosome structure from this filamentous fungus contains clearly resolved ribosomal protein eL28, like higher eukaryotes but unlike budding yeast, which lacks eL28. Despite some differences in overall structures, the ribosomes from , yeast, and humans all contain a highly conserved CHX binding site. We also sequenced classic CHX-resistant alleles. These mutations, including one at a residue not previously observed to affect CHX resistance in eukaryotes, were in the large subunit proteins uL15 and eL42 that are part of the CHX-binding pocket. In addition to A-site transfer RNA (tRNA), P-site tRNA, messenger RNA, and CHX that are associated with the translating ribosome, spermidine is present near the CHX binding site close to the E site on the large subunit. The tRNAs in the peptidyl transferase center are in the A/A site and the P/P site. The nascent peptide is attached to the A-site tRNA and not to the P-site tRNA. The structural and functional data obtained show that CHX arrests the ribosome in the classical PRE translocation state and does not interfere with A-site reactivity.|
|External links||Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A / PubMed:34815343 / PubMed Central|
|Methods||EM (single particle)|
|Keywords||TRANSLATION / Protein Synthesis Inhibitor / Cytosolic Ribosome / Polysomal Ribosome / Peptidyl Transferase Center|
+About EMN Papers
-Oct 5, 2021. Nobel Prize for mechanically activated and temperature-gated ion channels
Nobel Prize for mechanically activated and temperature-gated ion channels
- The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2021 was awarded jointly to David Julius and Ardem Patapoutian "for their discoveries of receptors for temperature and touch."
- EM Navigator can help to find cryo-EM structure data by both pioneers.
-Aug 12, 2020. Covid-19 info
New page: Covid-19 featured information page in EM Navigator.
Related info.:Covid-19 info / Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
+Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
Novel coronavirus structure data
- International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) defined the short name of the 2019 coronavirus as "SARS-CoV-2".
- The species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2 - nature microbiology
- In the structure databanks used in Yorodumi, some data are registered as the other names, "COVID-19 virus" and "2019-nCoV". Here are the details of the virus and the list of structure data.
Related info.:Yorodumi Speices / Aug 12, 2020. Covid-19 info
+Jul 5, 2019. Downlodablable text data
Downlodablable text data
Some data of EM Navigator services can be downloaded as text file. Software such as Excel can load the data files.
|EMN Search||search result||CSV, TSV, or JSON|
|EMN statistics||data table||CSV or TSV|
Related info.:EMN Search / EMN Statistics
+Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force.
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.:Q: What is EMD? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
Database of articles cited by 3DEM data entries
- Database of articles cited by 3DEM data entries in EMDB and PDB
- Using PubMed data
Related info.:EMDB / PDB / Q: What are the data sources of EM Navigator? / EM Navigator / Yorodumi Papers / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi