|Entry||Database: EMDB / ID: EMD-9623|
|Title||Cryo-EM structure of aldehyde-alcohol dehydrogenase reveals a high-order helical architecture critical for its activity|
|Sample||Helical structure of AdhE:|
|Function / homology|
Function and homology information
ethanol biosynthetic process / acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (acetylating) / acetaldehyde dehydrogenase (acetylating) activity / carbon utilization / alcohol dehydrogenase (NAD+) activity / alcohol dehydrogenase / membrane / identical protein binding / metal ion binding / cytosol
Alcohol dehydrogenase, iron-type/glycerol dehydrogenase GldA / Aldehyde dehydrogenase, N-terminal / Iron-type alcohol dehydrogenase-like / Bifunctional aldehyde-alcohol dehydrogenase, C-terminal domain / Alcohol dehydrogenase, iron-type, conserved site / Aldehyde dehydrogenase, C-terminal / Bifunctional aldehyde-alcohol dehydrogenase / Aldehyde dehydrogenase domain / Aldehyde/histidinol dehydrogenase
|Biological species||Escherichia coli (E. coli) / Escherichia coli K-12 (bacteria)|
|Method||single particle reconstruction / cryo EM / Resolution: 3.45 Å|
|Authors||Kim G / Song JJ|
|Funding support|| Korea, Republic Of, 2 items |
|Citation||Journal: Nat Commun / Year: 2019|
Title: Aldehyde-alcohol dehydrogenase forms a high-order spirosome architecture critical for its activity.
Authors: Gijeong Kim / Liyana Azmi / Seongmin Jang / Taeyang Jung / Hans Hebert / Andrew J Roe / Olwyn Byron / Ji-Joon Song /
Abstract: Aldehyde-alcohol dehydrogenase (AdhE) is a key enzyme in bacterial fermentation, converting acetyl-CoA to ethanol, via two consecutive catalytic reactions. Here, we present a 3.5 Å resolution cryo- ...Aldehyde-alcohol dehydrogenase (AdhE) is a key enzyme in bacterial fermentation, converting acetyl-CoA to ethanol, via two consecutive catalytic reactions. Here, we present a 3.5 Å resolution cryo-EM structure of full-length AdhE revealing a high-order spirosome architecture. The structure shows that the aldehyde dehydrogenase (ALDH) and alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) active sites reside at the outer surface and the inner surface of the spirosome respectively, thus topologically separating these two activities. Furthermore, mutations disrupting the helical structure abrogate enzymatic activity, implying that formation of the spirosome structure is critical for AdhE activity. In addition, we show that this spirosome structure undergoes conformational change in the presence of cofactors. This work presents the atomic resolution structure of AdhE and suggests that the high-order helical structure regulates its enzymatic activity.
|Validation Report||PDB-ID: 6ahc|
SummaryFull reportAbout validation report
|Structure viewer||EM map: |
Downloads & links
|File||Download / File: emd_9623.map.gz / Format: CCP4 / Size: 103 MB / Type: IMAGE STORED AS FLOATING POINT NUMBER (4 BYTES)|
|Projections & slices|
Images are generated by Spider.
|Voxel size||X=Y=Z: 1.12 Å|
|Symmetry||Space group: 1|
CCP4 map header:
-Entire Helical structure of AdhE
|Entire||Name: Helical structure of AdhE / Number of components: 2|
-Component #1: protein, Helical structure of AdhE
|Protein||Name: Helical structure of AdhE / Recombinant expression: No|
|Source||Species: Escherichia coli (E. coli)|
|Source (engineered)||Expression System: Escherichia coli (E. coli)|
-Component #2: protein, Aldehyde-alcohol dehydrogenase
|Protein||Name: Aldehyde-alcohol dehydrogenase / Number of Copies: 8 / Recombinant expression: No|
|Mass||Theoretical: 96.388258 kDa|
|Source||Species: Escherichia coli K-12 (bacteria) / Strain: K-12|
|Source (engineered)||Expression System: Escherichia coli (E. coli)|
|Specimen||Specimen state: Particle / Method: cryo EM|
|Sample solution||pH: 8|
|Vitrification||Cryogen name: ETHANE|
-Electron microscopy imaging
Model: Titan Krios / Image courtesy: FEI Company
|Imaging||Microscope: FEI TITAN KRIOS|
|Electron gun||Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating voltage: 300 kV / Electron dose: 44.6 e/Å2 / Illumination mode: OTHER|
|Lens||Cs: 0 mm / Imaging mode: BRIGHT FIELD|
|Specimen Holder||Model: OTHER|
|Camera||Detector: FEI FALCON III (4k x 4k)|
|Processing||Method: single particle reconstruction / Applied symmetry: C1 (asymmetric) / Number of projections: 160830|
|3D reconstruction||Resolution: 3.45 Å / Resolution method: FSC 0.143 CUT-OFF|
-Atomic model buiding
-Aug 12, 2020. New: Covid-19 info
New: Covid-19 info
Related info.:Covid-19 info / Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
-Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
Novel coronavirus structure data
- International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) defined the short name of the 2019 coronavirus as "SARS-CoV-2".
The species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2 - nature microbiology
- In the structure databanks used in Yorodumi, some data are registered as the other names, "COVID-19 virus" and "2019-nCoV". Here are the details of the virus and the list of structure data.
Related info.:Yorodumi Speices / Aug 12, 2020. New: Covid-19 info
+Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.:Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
+Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.:Omokage search
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
Related info.:EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi