|Entry||Database: EMDB / ID: EMD-3901|
|Title||Polyproline-stalled ribosome with distorted A-site and P-site tRNA|
|Sample||Polyproline stalled ribosome with distorted A+P-site tRNA|
|Biological species||Escherichia coli (E. coli)|
|Method||single particle reconstruction / cryo EM / Resolution: 3.9 Å|
|Authors||Huter P / Arenz S / Wilson DN|
|Citation||Journal: Mol. Cell / Year: 2017|
Title: Structural Basis for Polyproline-Mediated Ribosome Stalling and Rescue by the Translation Elongation Factor EF-P.
Authors: Paul Huter / Stefan Arenz / Lars V Bock / Michael Graf / Jan Ole Frister / Andre Heuer / Lauri Peil / Agata L Starosta / Ingo Wohlgemuth / Frank Peske / Jiří Nováček / Otto Berninghausen ...Authors: Paul Huter / Stefan Arenz / Lars V Bock / Michael Graf / Jan Ole Frister / Andre Heuer / Lauri Peil / Agata L Starosta / Ingo Wohlgemuth / Frank Peske / Jiří Nováček / Otto Berninghausen / Helmut Grubmüller / Tanel Tenson / Roland Beckmann / Marina V Rodnina / Andrea C Vaiana / Daniel N Wilson /
Abstract: Ribosomes synthesizing proteins containing consecutive proline residues become stalled and require rescue via the action of uniquely modified translation elongation factors, EF-P in bacteria, or ...Ribosomes synthesizing proteins containing consecutive proline residues become stalled and require rescue via the action of uniquely modified translation elongation factors, EF-P in bacteria, or archaeal/eukaryotic a/eIF5A. To date, no structures exist of EF-P or eIF5A in complex with translating ribosomes stalled at polyproline stretches, and thus structural insight into how EF-P/eIF5A rescue these arrested ribosomes has been lacking. Here we present cryo-EM structures of ribosomes stalled on proline stretches, without and with modified EF-P. The structures suggest that the favored conformation of the polyproline-containing nascent chain is incompatible with the peptide exit tunnel of the ribosome and leads to destabilization of the peptidyl-tRNA. Binding of EF-P stabilizes the P-site tRNA, particularly via interactions between its modification and the CCA end, thereby enforcing an alternative conformation of the polyproline-containing nascent chain, which allows a favorable substrate geometry for peptide bond formation.
|Structure viewer||EM map: |
Downloads & links
|File||Download / File: emd_3901.map.gz / Format: CCP4 / Size: 178 MB / Type: IMAGE STORED AS FLOATING POINT NUMBER (4 BYTES)|
|Projections & slices|
Images are generated by Spider.
|Voxel size||X=Y=Z: 1.064 Å|
|Symmetry||Space group: 1|
CCP4 map header:
-Entire Polyproline stalled ribosome with distorted A+P-site tRNA
|Entire||Name: Polyproline stalled ribosome with distorted A+P-site tRNA|
Number of components: 1
-Component #1: protein, Polyproline stalled ribosome with distorted A+P-site tRNA
|Protein||Name: Polyproline stalled ribosome with distorted A+P-site tRNA|
Recombinant expression: No
|Mass||Theoretical: 3 MDa|
|Source||Species: Escherichia coli (E. coli)|
|Specimen||Specimen state: Particle / Method: cryo EM|
|Sample solution||pH: 7.4|
|Vitrification||Cryogen name: ETHANE|
-Electron microscopy imaging
Model: Titan Krios / Image courtesy: FEI Company
|Imaging||Microscope: FEI TITAN KRIOS|
|Electron gun||Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating voltage: 300 kV / Electron dose: 28 e/Å2 / Illumination mode: SPOT SCAN|
|Lens||Imaging mode: BRIGHT FIELD|
|Specimen Holder||Model: OTHER|
|Camera||Detector: FEI FALCON II (4k x 4k)|
|Processing||Method: single particle reconstruction / Applied symmetry: C1 (asymmetric) / Number of projections: 21128|
|3D reconstruction||Resolution: 3.9 Å / Resolution method: FSC 0.143 CUT-OFF|
-Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
Novel coronavirus structure data
- International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) defined the short name of the 2019 coronavirus as "SARS-CoV-2".
The species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2 - nature microbiology
- In the structure databanks used in Yorodumi, some data are registered as the other names, "COVID-19 virus" and "2019-nCoV". Here are the details of the virus and the list of structure data.
Related info.:Yorodumi Speices
-Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.:Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
+Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.:Omokage search
+Sep 15, 2016. EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
- New versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi started
Related info.:Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
Related info.:EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi