|Entry||Database: EMDB / ID: EMD-20712|
|Title||In vivo structure of the Legionella type II secretion system by electron cryotomography (aligning the IM-complex).Type II secretion system|
|Map data||Type II secretion system|
|Sample||Subtomogram average of the Legionella pneumophila type II secretion system (aligning the IM-complex).Type II secretion system|
|Biological species||Legionella pneumophila (bacteria)|
|Method||subtomogram averaging / cryo EM / Resolution: 50 Å|
|Authors||Ghosal D / Jensen GJ|
|Funding support|| United States, 1 items |
|Citation||Journal: Nat Microbiol / Year: 2019|
Title: In vivo structure of the Legionella type II secretion system by electron cryotomography.
Authors: Debnath Ghosal / Ki Woo Kim / Huaixin Zheng / Mohammed Kaplan / Hilary K Truchan / Alberto E Lopez / Ian E McIntire / Joseph P Vogel / Nicholas P Cianciotto / Grant J Jensen /
Abstract: The type II secretion system (T2SS) is a multiprotein envelope-spanning assembly that translocates a wide range of virulence factors, enzymes and effectors through the outer membrane of many ...The type II secretion system (T2SS) is a multiprotein envelope-spanning assembly that translocates a wide range of virulence factors, enzymes and effectors through the outer membrane of many Gram-negative bacteria. Here, using electron cryotomography and subtomogram averaging methods, we reveal the in vivo structure of an intact T2SS imaged within the human pathogen Legionella pneumophila. Although the T2SS has only limited sequence and component homology with the evolutionarily related type IV pilus (T4P) system, we show that their overall architectures are remarkably similar. Despite similarities, there are also differences, including, for example, that the T2SS-ATPase complex is usually present but disengaged from the inner membrane, the T2SS has a much longer periplasmic vestibule and it has a short-lived flexible pseudopilus. Placing atomic models of the components into our electron cryotomography map produced a complete architectural model of the intact T2SS that provides insights into the structure and function of its components, its position within the cell envelope and the interactions between its different subcomplexes.
|Structure viewer||EM map: |
Downloads & links
|File||Download / File: emd_20712.map.gz / Format: CCP4 / Size: 3.1 MB / Type: IMAGE STORED AS FLOATING POINT NUMBER (4 BYTES)|
|Projections & slices|
Images are generated by Spider.
generated in cubic-lattice coordinate
|Voxel size||X=Y=Z: 8.4 Å|
|Symmetry||Space group: 1|
CCP4 map header:
-Entire Subtomogram average of the Legionella pneumophila type II secreti...
|Entire||Name: Subtomogram average of the Legionella pneumophila type II secretion system (aligning the IM-complex).Type II secretion system|
Details: We used electron cryotomography and subtomogram averaging to visualize L. pneumophila type II secretion system complex directly in intact, frozen-hydrated bacterial cells
Number of components: 1
-Component #1: protein, Subtomogram average of the Legionella pneumophila type I...
|Protein||Name: Subtomogram average of the Legionella pneumophila type II secretion system (aligning the IM-complex).Type II secretion system|
Details: We used electron cryotomography and subtomogram averaging to visualize L. pneumophila type II secretion system complex directly in intact, frozen-hydrated bacterial cellsType II secretion system
Recombinant expression: No
|Source||Species: Legionella pneumophila (bacteria) / Strain: Lp02|
|Specimen||Specimen state: Cell / Method: cryo EM|
|Sample solution||pH: 6.9|
|Vitrification||Cryogen name: OTHER|
-Electron microscopy imaging
Model: Titan Krios / Image courtesy: FEI Company
|Imaging||Microscope: FEI TITAN KRIOS|
|Electron gun||Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating voltage: 300 kV / Electron dose: 1.2 e/Å2 / Illumination mode: FLOOD BEAM|
|Lens||Imaging mode: BRIGHT FIELD|
|Specimen Holder||Model: OTHER|
|Camera||Detector: GATAN K2 SUMMIT (4k x 4k)|
|Processing||Method: subtomogram averaging / Applied symmetry: C2 (2 fold cyclic) / Number of subtomograms: 440|
|3D reconstruction||Software: IMOD / Resolution: 50 Å / Resolution method: FSC 0.143 CUT-OFF|
-Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.: Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
-Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.: Omokage search
+Sep 15, 2016. EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
- New versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi started
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi
+Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
- In 15th Sep 2016, the development versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi will replace the official versions.
- Current version will continue as 'legacy version' for some time.
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi / EM Navigator / Yorodumi
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
Related info.: EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi