|Title||The structure of the PA28-20S proteasome complex from Plasmodium falciparum and implications for proteostasis.|
|Journal, issue, pages||Nat Microbiol, Vol. 4, Issue 11, Page 1990-2000, Year 2019|
|Publish date||Aug 5, 2019|
|Authors||Stanley C Xie / Riley D Metcalfe / Eric Hanssen / Tuo Yang / David L Gillett / Andrew P Leis / Craig J Morton / Michael J Kuiper / Michael W Parker / Natalie J Spillman / Wilson Wong / Christopher Tsu / Lawrence R Dick / Michael D W Griffin / Leann Tilley /|
|PubMed Abstract||The activity of the proteasome 20S catalytic core is regulated by protein complexes that bind to one or both ends. The PA28 regulator stimulates 20S proteasome peptidase activity in vitro, but its ...The activity of the proteasome 20S catalytic core is regulated by protein complexes that bind to one or both ends. The PA28 regulator stimulates 20S proteasome peptidase activity in vitro, but its role in vivo remains unclear. Here, we show that genetic deletion of the PA28 regulator from Plasmodium falciparum (Pf) renders malaria parasites more sensitive to the antimalarial drug dihydroartemisinin, indicating that PA28 may play a role in protection against proteotoxic stress. The crystal structure of PfPA28 reveals a bell-shaped molecule with an inner pore that has a strong segregation of charges. Small-angle X-ray scattering shows that disordered loops, which are not resolved in the crystal structure, extend from the PfPA28 heptamer and surround the pore. Using single particle cryo-electron microscopy, we solved the structure of Pf20S in complex with one and two regulatory PfPA28 caps at resolutions of 3.9 and 3.8 Å, respectively. PfPA28 binds Pf20S asymmetrically, strongly engaging subunits on only one side of the core. PfPA28 undergoes rigid body motions relative to Pf20S. Molecular dynamics simulations support conformational flexibility and a leaky interface. We propose lateral transfer of short peptides through the dynamic interface as a mechanism facilitating the release of proteasome degradation products.|
|External links||PubMed:31384003 / Publisher's page|
|Keywords||Artemisinins / Cryoelectron Microscopy / Crystallography, X-Ray / Models, Molecular / Molecular Dynamics Simulation / Plasmodium falciparum / Proteasome Endopeptidase Complex / Protein Conformation / Protein Multimerization / Proteostasis / Protozoan Proteins / Scattering, Small Angle / X-Ray Diffraction / dihydroartemisinin / PROTEIN BINDING / 11S proteasome subunit / 11S regulatory particle / PA28 / REG / proteasome activator / hydrolase activator / HYDROLASE / proteasome / protease / 11S subunit / hydrolyse activator / complex|
|Methods||EM (single particle) / X-ray diffraction|
|Resolution||3.1 - 4.6 A|
+About Yorodumi Papers
-Aug 12, 2020. New: Covid-19 info
New: Covid-19 info
Related info.:Covid-19 info / Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
-Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
Novel coronavirus structure data
- International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) defined the short name of the 2019 coronavirus as "SARS-CoV-2".
The species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2 - nature microbiology
- In the structure databanks used in Yorodumi, some data are registered as the other names, "COVID-19 virus" and "2019-nCoV". Here are the details of the virus and the list of structure data.
Related info.:Yorodumi Speices / Aug 12, 2020. New: Covid-19 info
+Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.:Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
+Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.:Omokage search
Database of articles cited by EMDB/PDB/SASBDB data
- Database of articles cited by EMDB, PDB, and SASBDB entries
- Using PubMed data
Related info.:EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Yorodumi / EMN Papers / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi