|Title||Characterization of the SARS-CoV-2 S Protein: Biophysical, Biochemical, Structural, and Antigenic Analysis.|
|Journal, issue, pages||bioRxiv, Year 2020|
|Publish date||Jun 17, 2020|
|Authors||Natalia G Herrera / Nicholas C Morano / Alev Celikgil / George I Georgiev / Ryan J Malonis / James H Lee / Karen Tong / Olivia Vergnolle / Aldo B Massimi / Laura Y Yen / Alex J Noble / Mykhailo Kopylov / Jeffrey B Bonanno / Sarah C Garrett-Thomson / David B Hayes / Robert H Bortz / Ariel S Wirchnianski / Catalina Florez / Ethan Laudermilch / Denise Haslwanter / J Maximilian Fels / M Eugenia Dieterle / Rohit K Jangra / Jason Barnhill / Amanda Mengotto / Duncan Kimmel / Johanna P Daily / Liise-Anne Pirofski / Kartik Chandran / Michael Brenowitz / Scott J Garforth / Edward T Eng / Jonathan R Lai / Steven C Almo|
|PubMed Abstract||Coronavirus disease 2019 ( ) is a global health crisis caused by the novel severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 ( ), and there is a critical need to produce large quantities of high- ...Coronavirus disease 2019 ( ) is a global health crisis caused by the novel severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 ( ), and there is a critical need to produce large quantities of high-quality SARS-CoV-2 Spike ( ) protein for use in both clinical and basic science settings. To address this need, we have evaluated the expression and purification of two previously reported S protein constructs in Expi293F and ExpiCHO-S cells, two different cell lines selected for increased expression of secreted glycoproteins. We show that ExpiCHO-S cells produce enhanced yields of both SARS-CoV-2 S proteins. Biochemical, biophysical, and structural ( ) characterization of the SARS-CoV-2 S proteins produced in both cell lines demonstrate that the reported purification strategy yields high quality S protein (non-aggregated, uniform material with appropriate biochemical and biophysical properties). Importantly, we show that multiple preparations of these two recombinant S proteins from either cell line exhibit identical behavior in two different serology assays. We also evaluate the specificity of S protein-mediated host cell binding by examining interactions with proposed binding partners in the human secretome. In addition, the antigenicity of these proteins is demonstrated by standard ELISAs, and in a flexible protein microarray format. Collectively, we establish an array of metrics for ensuring the production of high-quality S protein to support clinical, biological, biochemical, structural and mechanistic studies to combat the global pandemic caused by SARS-CoV-2.|
|External links||PubMed:32587972 / Publisher's page|
|Keywords||VIRAL PROTEIN / coronavirus / SARS-CoV-2 / SARS-CoV / spike glycoprotein / fusion protein / trimer|
|Methods||EM (single particle)|
+About EMN Papers
-Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
Novel coronavirus structure data
- International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) defined the short name of the 2019 coronavirus as "SARS-CoV-2".
The species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2 - nature microbiology
- In the structure databanks used in Yorodumi, some data are registered as the other names, "COVID-19 virus" and "2019-nCoV". Here are the details of the virus and the list of structure data.
Related info.:Yorodumi Speices
-Jul 5, 2019. Downlodablable text data
Downlodablable text data
- Some data of EM Navigator services can be downloaded as text file. Software such as Excel can load the data files.
Page Data Format EMN Search search result CSV, TSV, or JSON EMN statistics data table CSV or TSV
Related info.:EMN Search / EMN Statistics
+Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.:Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
+Feb 20, 2018. PDBj/BINDS workshop in Osaka University
PDBj/BINDS workshop in Osaka University
+Oct 4, 2017. Three pioneers of this field were awarded Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2017
Three pioneers of this field were awarded Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2017
- Jacques Dubochet (University of Lausanne, Switzerland) is a pioneer of ice-embedding method of EM specimen (as known as cryo-EM), Most of 3DEM structures in EMDB and PDB are obtained using his method.
- Joachim Frank (Columbia University, New York, USA) is a pioneer of single particle reconstruction, which is the most used reconstruction method for 3DEM structures in EMDB and EM entries in PDB. And also, he is a develper of Spider, which is one of the most famous software in this field, and is used for some EM Navigor data (e.g. map projection/slice images).
- Richard Henderson (MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK) was determined the first biomolecule structure by EM. The first EM entry in PDB, PDB-1brd is determinedby him.
External links:The 2017 Nobel Prize in Chemistry - Press Release
Database of articles cited by 3DEM data entries
- Database of articles cited by 3DEM data entries in EMDB and PDB
- Using PubMed data
Related info.:EMDB / PDB / Q: What is the data source of EM Navigator? / EM Navigator / Yorodumi Papers / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi