|Title||Development of a universal nanobody-binding Fab module for fiducial-assisted cryo-EM studies of membrane proteins.|
|Journal, issue, pages||Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, Vol. 118, Issue 47, Year 2021|
|Publish date||Nov 23, 2021|
|Authors||Joël S Bloch / Somnath Mukherjee / Julia Kowal / Ekaterina V Filippova / Martina Niederer / Els Pardon / Jan Steyaert / Anthony A Kossiakoff / Kaspar P Locher /|
|PubMed Abstract||With conformation-specific nanobodies being used for a wide range of structural, biochemical, and cell biological applications, there is a demand for antigen-binding fragments (Fabs) that ...With conformation-specific nanobodies being used for a wide range of structural, biochemical, and cell biological applications, there is a demand for antigen-binding fragments (Fabs) that specifically and tightly bind these nanobodies without disturbing the nanobody-target protein interaction. Here, we describe the development of a synthetic Fab (termed NabFab) that binds the scaffold of an alpaca-derived nanobody with picomolar affinity. We demonstrate that upon complementary-determining region grafting onto this parent nanobody scaffold, nanobodies recognizing diverse target proteins and derived from llama or camel can cross-react with NabFab without loss of affinity. Using NabFab as a fiducial and size enhancer (50 kDa), we determined the high-resolution cryogenic electron microscopy (cryo-EM) structures of nanobody-bound VcNorM and ScaDMT, both small membrane proteins of ∼50 kDa. Using an additional anti-Fab nanobody further facilitated reliable initial three-dimensional structure determination from small cryo-EM test datasets. Given that NabFab is of synthetic origin, is humanized, and can be conveniently expressed in in large amounts, it may be useful not only for structural biology but also for biomedical applications.|
|External links||Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A / PubMed:34782475|
|Methods||EM (single particle)|
|Resolution||3.47 - 8.45 Å|
|Keywords||MEMBRANE PROTEIN / NabFab / anti-nanobody Fab / fiducial / NorM / MATE / DMT|
+About EMN Papers
-Oct 5, 2021. Nobel Prize for mechanically activated and temperature-gated ion channels
Nobel Prize for mechanically activated and temperature-gated ion channels
- The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2021 was awarded jointly to David Julius and Ardem Patapoutian "for their discoveries of receptors for temperature and touch."
- EM Navigator can help to find cryo-EM structure data by both pioneers.
-Aug 12, 2020. Covid-19 info
New page: Covid-19 featured information page in EM Navigator.
Related info.:Covid-19 info / Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
+Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
Novel coronavirus structure data
- International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) defined the short name of the 2019 coronavirus as "SARS-CoV-2".
- The species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2 - nature microbiology
- In the structure databanks used in Yorodumi, some data are registered as the other names, "COVID-19 virus" and "2019-nCoV". Here are the details of the virus and the list of structure data.
Related info.:Yorodumi Speices / Aug 12, 2020. Covid-19 info
+Jul 5, 2019. Downlodablable text data
Downlodablable text data
Some data of EM Navigator services can be downloaded as text file. Software such as Excel can load the data files.
|EMN Search||search result||CSV, TSV, or JSON|
|EMN statistics||data table||CSV or TSV|
Related info.:EMN Search / EMN Statistics
+Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force.
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.:Q: What is EMD? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
Database of articles cited by 3DEM data entries
- Database of articles cited by 3DEM data entries in EMDB and PDB
- Using PubMed data
Related info.:EMDB / PDB / Q: What are the data sources of EM Navigator? / EM Navigator / Yorodumi Papers / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi