|Title||The cellular environment shapes the nuclear pore complex architecture.|
|Journal, issue, pages||Nature, Vol. 598, Issue 7882, Page 667-671, Year 2021|
|Publish date||Oct 13, 2021|
|Authors||Anthony P Schuller / Matthias Wojtynek / David Mankus / Meltem Tatli / Rafael Kronenberg-Tenga / Saroj G Regmi / Phat V Dip / Abigail K R Lytton-Jean / Edward J Brignole / Mary Dasso / Karsten Weis / Ohad Medalia / Thomas U Schwartz /|
|PubMed Abstract||Nuclear pore complexes (NPCs) create large conduits for cargo transport between the nucleus and cytoplasm across the nuclear envelope (NE). These multi-megadalton structures are composed of about ...Nuclear pore complexes (NPCs) create large conduits for cargo transport between the nucleus and cytoplasm across the nuclear envelope (NE). These multi-megadalton structures are composed of about thirty different nucleoporins that are distributed in three main substructures (the inner, cytoplasmic and nucleoplasmic rings) around the central transport channel. Here we use cryo-electron tomography on DLD-1 cells that were prepared using cryo-focused-ion-beam milling to generate a structural model for the human NPC in its native environment. We show that-compared with previous human NPC models obtained from purified NEs-the inner ring in our model is substantially wider; the volume of the central channel is increased by 75% and the nucleoplasmic and cytoplasmic rings are reorganized. Moreover, the NPC membrane exhibits asymmetry around the inner-ring complex. Using targeted degradation of Nup96, a scaffold nucleoporin of the cytoplasmic and nucleoplasmic rings, we observe the interdependence of each ring in modulating the central channel and maintaining membrane asymmetry. Our findings highlight the inherent flexibility of the NPC and suggest that the cellular environment has a considerable influence on NPC dimensions and architecture.|
|External links||Nature / PubMed:34646014 / PubMed Central|
|Methods||EM (subtomogram averaging)|
|Resolution||33 - 39 Å|
|Keywords||TRANSPORT PROTEIN / Nuclear Pore Complex / NPC|
+About EMN Papers
-Oct 5, 2021. Nobel Prize for mechanically activated and temperature-gated ion channels
Nobel Prize for mechanically activated and temperature-gated ion channels
- The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2021 was awarded jointly to David Julius and Ardem Patapoutian "for their discoveries of receptors for temperature and touch."
- EM Navigator can help to find cryo-EM structure data by both pioneers.
-Aug 12, 2020. Covid-19 info
New page: Covid-19 featured information page in EM Navigator.
Related info.:Covid-19 info / Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
+Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
Novel coronavirus structure data
- International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) defined the short name of the 2019 coronavirus as "SARS-CoV-2".
- The species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2 - nature microbiology
- In the structure databanks used in Yorodumi, some data are registered as the other names, "COVID-19 virus" and "2019-nCoV". Here are the details of the virus and the list of structure data.
Related info.:Yorodumi Speices / Aug 12, 2020. Covid-19 info
+Jul 5, 2019. Downlodablable text data
Downlodablable text data
Some data of EM Navigator services can be downloaded as text file. Software such as Excel can load the data files.
|EMN Search||search result||CSV, TSV, or JSON|
|EMN statistics||data table||CSV or TSV|
Related info.:EMN Search / EMN Statistics
+Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force.
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.:Q: What is EMD? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
Database of articles cited by 3DEM data entries
- Database of articles cited by 3DEM data entries in EMDB and PDB
- Using PubMed data
Related info.:EMDB / PDB / Q: What are the data sources of EM Navigator? / EM Navigator / Yorodumi Papers / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi