|Entry||Database: EMDB / ID: EMD-7880|
|Title||Infectious microvesicles (Class 1 and 3) from poliovirus-infected HeLa cells, displaying clusters of virions and additional inner vesicular structures|
|Sample||Human poliovirus 1 Mahoney:|
|Biological species||Human poliovirus 1 Mahoney|
|Method||electron tomography / cryo EM|
|Funding support|| United States, 2 items |
|Citation||Journal: Sci Rep / Year: 2020|
Title: Complexity and ultrastructure of infectious extracellular vesicles from cells infected by non-enveloped virus.
Authors: Jie E Yang / Evan D Rossignol / Deborah Chang / Joseph Zaia / Isaac Forrester / Kiran Raja / Holly Winbigler / Daniela Nicastro / William T Jackson / Esther Bullitt /
Abstract: Enteroviruses support cell-to-cell viral transmission prior to their canonical lytic spread of virus. Poliovirus (PV), a prototype for human pathogenic positive-sense RNA enteroviruses, and ...Enteroviruses support cell-to-cell viral transmission prior to their canonical lytic spread of virus. Poliovirus (PV), a prototype for human pathogenic positive-sense RNA enteroviruses, and picornaviruses in general, transport multiple virions en bloc via infectious extracellular vesicles, 100~1000 nm in diameter, secreted from host cells. Using biochemical and biophysical methods we identify multiple components in secreted microvesicles, including mature PV virions; positive-sense genomic and negative-sense replicative, template viral RNA; essential viral replication proteins; and cellular proteins. Using cryo-electron tomography, we visualize the near-native three-dimensional architecture of secreted infectious microvesicles containing both virions and a unique morphological component that we describe as a mat-like structure. While the composition of these mat-like structures is not yet known, based on our biochemical data they are expected to be comprised of unencapsidated RNA and proteins. In addition to infectious microvesicles, CD9-positive exosomes released from PV-infected cells are also infectious and transport virions. Thus, our data show that, prior to cell lysis, non-enveloped viruses are secreted within infectious vesicles that also transport viral unencapsidated RNAs, viral and host proteins. Understanding the structure and function of these infectious particles helps elucidate the mechanism by which extracellular vesicles contribute to the spread of non-enveloped virus infection.
Downloads & links
|File||Download / File: emd_7880.map.gz / Format: CCP4 / Size: 260.9 MB / Type: IMAGE STORED AS SIGNED BYTE|
|Voxel size||X=Y=Z: 4.01 Å|
|Symmetry||Space group: 1|
CCP4 map header:
-Entire Human poliovirus 1 Mahoney
|Entire||Name: Human poliovirus 1 Mahoney / Number of components: 1|
-Component #1: virus, Human poliovirus 1 Mahoney
|Virus||Name: Human poliovirus 1 Mahoney / Class: VIRUS-LIKE PARTICLE / Empty: No / Enveloped: No / Isolate: STRAIN|
|Species||Species: Human poliovirus 1 Mahoney|
|Source (natural)||Host Species: Homo sapiens (human)|
|Specimen||Specimen state: Particle / Method: cryo EM|
|Sample solution||Specimen conc.: 1.5 mg/mL / Buffer solution: 1% glutaraldehyde in 1x PBS / pH: 7|
|Vitrification||Instrument: FEI VITROBOT MARK II / Cryogen name: ETHANE / Temperature: 283.15 K / Humidity: 100 %|
-Electron microscopy imaging
|Imaging||Microscope: JEOL 2200FS|
|Electron gun||Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating voltage: 200 kV / Electron dose: 1.02 e/Å2 / Illumination mode: FLOOD BEAM|
|Lens||Imaging mode: BRIGHT FIELD|
|Specimen Holder||Model: OTHER|
|Camera||Detector: DIRECT ELECTRON DE-20 (5k x 3k)|
|Processing||Method: electron tomography / Number of sections: 62|
|3D reconstruction||Software: eTomo|
-Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
Novel coronavirus structure data
- International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) defined the short name of the 2019 coronavirus as "SARS-CoV-2".
The species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2 - nature microbiology
- In the structure databanks used in Yorodumi, some data are registered as the other names, "COVID-19 virus" and "2019-nCoV". Here are the details of the virus and the list of structure data.
Related info.:Yorodumi Speices
-Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.:Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
+Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.:Omokage search
+Sep 15, 2016. EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
- New versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi started
Related info.:Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
Related info.:EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi