|Entry||Database: EMDB / ID: 7513|
|Title||Subtomogram average of mature CHIKV virion budded from human cells|
|Map data||Mature CHIKV virion budded from human cells|
|Method||subtomogram averaging / cryo EM / 34 Å resolution|
|Authors||Galaz-Montoya JG / Jin J / Sherman MB|
|Citation||Journal: Cell Host Microbe / Year: 2018|
Title: Neutralizing Antibodies Inhibit Chikungunya Virus Budding at the Plasma Membrane.
Authors: Jing Jin / Jesús G Galaz-Montoya / Michael B Sherman / Stella Y Sun / Cynthia S Goldsmith / Eileen T O'Toole / Larry Ackerman / Lars-Anders Carlson / Scott C Weaver / Wah Chiu / Graham Simmons
Abstract: Neutralizing antibodies (NAbs) are traditionally thought to inhibit virus infection by preventing virion entry into target cells. In addition, antibodies can engage Fc receptors (FcRs) on immune ...Neutralizing antibodies (NAbs) are traditionally thought to inhibit virus infection by preventing virion entry into target cells. In addition, antibodies can engage Fc receptors (FcRs) on immune cells to activate antiviral responses. We describe a mechanism by which NAbs inhibit chikungunya virus (CHIKV), the most common alphavirus infecting humans, by preventing virus budding from infected human cells and activating IgG-specific Fcγ receptors. NAbs bind to CHIKV glycoproteins on the infected cell surface and induce glycoprotein coalescence, preventing budding of nascent virions and leaving structurally heterogeneous nucleocapsids arrested in the cytosol. Furthermore, NAbs induce clustering of CHIKV replication spherules at sites of budding blockage. Functionally, these densely packed glycoprotein-NAb complexes on infected cells activate Fcγ receptors, inducing a strong, antibody-dependent, cell-mediated cytotoxicity response from immune effector cells. Our findings describe a triply functional antiviral pathway for NAbs that might be broadly applicable across virus-host systems, suggesting avenues for therapeutic innovation through antibody design.
|Date||Deposition: Mar 2, 2018 / Header (metadata) release: Apr 11, 2018 / Map release: Jan 9, 2019 / Last update: Jan 9, 2019|
|Structure viewer||EM map: |
Downloads & links
|File||emd_7513.map.gz (map file in CCP4 format, 23329 KB)|
|Projections & slices|
Images are generated by Spider.
|Voxel size||X=Y=Z: 7.16 Å|
CCP4 map header:
-Entire Chikungunya virus
|Entire||Name: Chikungunya virus / Number of components: 1|
-Component #1: virus, Chikungunya virus
|Virus||Name: Chikungunya virusChikungunya / Class: VIRION / Empty: No / Enveloped: Yes / Isolate: STRAIN|
|Species||Species: Chikungunya virus / Strain: vaccine strain 181/clone 25|
|Source (natural)||Host Species: Homo sapiens (human) / Host species strain: vaccine strain 181/clone 25|
|Specimen||Specimen state: cell / Method: cryo EM|
|Sample solution||pH: 7|
|Vitrification||Cryogen name: ETHANE|
-Electron microscopy imaging
|Imaging||Microscope: JEOL 2200FS|
|Electron gun||Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating voltage: 200 kV / Electron dose: 1 e/Å2 / Illumination mode: OTHER|
|Lens||Imaging mode: BRIGHT FIELD / Energy filter: In-column Omega Filter / Energy window: 0-20 eV|
|Specimen Holder||Model: OTHER|
|Camera||Detector: DIRECT ELECTRON DE-20 (5k x 3k)|
-Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
-Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.: Omokage search
+Sep 15, 2016. EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
- New versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi started
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi
+Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
- In 15th Sep 2016, the development versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi will replace the official versions.
- Current version will continue as 'legacy version' for some time.
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi / EM Navigator / Yorodumi
+Apr 13, 2016. Omokage search got faster
Omokage search got faster
- The computation time became ~1/2 compared to the previous version by re-optimization of data accession
- Enjoy "shape similarity" of biomolecules, more!
Related info.: Omokage search
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
Related info.: EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi