|Entry||Database: EMDB / ID: 5184|
|Title||The structure of JC polyomavirus treated with 250 mM L-arginine (pH 10.7)|
|Map data||Cryo-EM based reconstruction of JC polyomavirus treated with 250 mM L-arginine|
|Sample||JC polyomavirus in buffer A with 250 mM L-arginine (pH 10.7):|
|Keywords||JC / JCV / polyomavirus / arginine|
|Source||JC polyomavirus (JCV)|
|Method||single particle reconstruction / cryo EM / 17.6 Å resolution|
|Authors||Shen PS / Enderlein D / Nelson C / Carter WS / Kawano M / Xing L / Swenson RD / Olson NH / Baker TS / Cheng RH / Atwood WJ / Johne R / Belnap DM|
|Citation||Journal: Virology / Year: 2011|
Title: The structure of avian polyomavirus reveals variably sized capsids, non-conserved inter-capsomere interactions, and a possible location of the minor capsid protein VP4.
Authors: Peter S Shen / Dirk Enderlein / Christian D S Nelson / Weston S Carter / Masaaki Kawano / Li Xing / Robert D Swenson / Norman H Olson / Timothy S Baker / R Holland Cheng / Walter J Atwood / Reimar Johne / David M Belnap
Abstract: Avian polyomavirus (APV) causes a fatal, multi-organ disease among several bird species. Using cryogenic electron microscopy and other biochemical techniques, we investigated the structure of APV and ...Avian polyomavirus (APV) causes a fatal, multi-organ disease among several bird species. Using cryogenic electron microscopy and other biochemical techniques, we investigated the structure of APV and compared it to that of mammalian polyomaviruses, particularly JC polyomavirus and simian virus 40. The structure of the pentameric major capsid protein (VP1) is mostly conserved; however, APV VP1 has a unique, truncated C-terminus that eliminates an intercapsomere-connecting β-hairpin observed in other polyomaviruses. We postulate that the terminal β-hairpin locks other polyomavirus capsids in a stable conformation and that absence of the hairpin leads to the observed capsid size variation in APV. Plug-like density features were observed at the base of the VP1 pentamers, consistent with the known location of minor capsid proteins VP2 and VP3. However, the plug density is more prominent in APV and may include VP4, a minor capsid protein unique to bird polyomaviruses.
|Date||Deposition: Apr 12, 2010 / Header (metadata) release: Dec 8, 2010 / Map release: Jan 19, 2011 / Last update: Sep 23, 2011|
|Structure viewer||EM map: |
Downloads & links
|File||emd_5184.map.gz (map file in CCP4 format, 193091 KB)|
|Projections & slices|
Images are generated by Spider.
|Voxel size||X=Y=Z: 1.59 Å|
CCP4 map header:
-Entire JC polyomavirus in buffer A with 250 mM L-arginine (pH 10.7)
|Entire||Name: JC polyomavirus in buffer A with 250 mM L-arginine (pH 10.7)|
Number of components: 1 / Oligomeric State: virions
-Component #1: virus, JC polyomavirus
|Virus||Name: JC polyomavirus / a.k.a: JCV / Class: VIRION / Details: Cryo-EM of JC polyomavirus over holey carbon grids / Empty: No / Enveloped: No / Isolate: STRAIN|
|Species||Species: JC polyomavirus (JCV)|
|Source (natural)||Host Species: Homo sapiens (human) / Host category: VERTEBRATES|
|Shell #1||Name of element: VP1 / Diameter: 5000 Å / T number(triangulation number): 7|
|Specimen||Specimen state: particle / Method: cryo EM|
|Sample solution||Specimen conc.: 1.5 mg/ml|
Buffer solution: 10 mM Tris, 50 mM NaCl, 0.01 mM CaCl2, 250 mM L-arginine
|Support film||200 mesh copper grid (holey carbon)|
|Vitrification||Instrument: FEI VITROBOT / Cryogen name: ETHANE / Temperature: 89 K / Humidity: 100 % / Method: 3 second blot before plunging|
Details: Vitrification instrument: Vitrobot. vitrification carried out in nitrogen atmosphere
-Electron microscopy imaging
Model: Tecnai F30 / Image courtesy: FEI Company
|Imaging||Microscope: FEI TECNAI F30 / Date: Apr 23, 2007|
|Electron gun||Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating voltage: 200 kV / Illumination mode: FLOOD BEAM|
|Lens||Magnification: 39000 X (nominal), 39000 X (calibrated)|
Astigmatism: astigmatism was corrected at 59,000 times magnification
Cs: 2 mm / Imaging mode: BRIGHT FIELD / Defocus: 500 - 4900 nm
|Specimen Holder||Holder: Side entry liquid nitrogen-cooled cryo specimen holder|
Model: GATAN LIQUID NITROGEN / Temperature: 90 K ( 88 - 95 K)
|Camera||Detector: KODAK SO-163 FILM|
|Image acquisition||Number of digital images: 50 / Scanner: NIKON SUPER COOLSCAN 9000 / Sampling size: 6.35 microns / Bit depth: 16 / Details: Micrographs digitized in positive contrast mode.|
|Processing||Method: single particle reconstruction / Applied symmetry: I (icosahedral)|
|3D reconstruction||Algorithm: common lines / Software: PFT2, EM3DR2 / CTF correction: each micrograph / Resolution: 17.6 Å / Resolution method: FSC 0.333|
-Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.: Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
-Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.: Omokage search
+Sep 15, 2016. EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
- New versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi started
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi
+Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
- In 15th Sep 2016, the development versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi will replace the official versions.
- Current version will continue as 'legacy version' for some time.
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi / EM Navigator / Yorodumi
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
Related info.: EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi