|Entry||Database: EMDB / ID: EMD-20838|
|Title||In situ structure of the export apparatus in Salmonella T3SS machine|
|Sample||Export Apparatus in type III secretion machine|
|Biological species||Salmonella enterica subsp. enterica serovar Abony (bacteria)|
|Method||subtomogram averaging / Resolution: 17 Å|
|Funding support|| United States, 3 items |
|Citation||Journal: Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A / Year: 2019|
Title: High-resolution view of the type III secretion export apparatus in situ reveals membrane remodeling and a secretion pathway.
Authors: Carmen Butan / Maria Lara-Tejero / Wenwei Li / Jun Liu / Jorge E Galán /
Abstract: Type III protein secretion systems are essential virulence factors for many important pathogenic bacteria. The entire protein secretion machine is composed of several substructures that organize into ...Type III protein secretion systems are essential virulence factors for many important pathogenic bacteria. The entire protein secretion machine is composed of several substructures that organize into a holostructure or injectisome. The core component of the injectisome is the needle complex, which houses the export apparatus that serves as a gate for the passage of the secreted proteins through the bacterial inner membrane. Here, we describe a high-resolution structure of the export apparatus of the type III secretion system in association with the needle complex and the underlying bacterial membrane, both in isolation and in situ. We show the precise location of the core export apparatus components within the injectisome and bacterial envelope and demonstrate that their deployment results in major membrane remodeling and thinning, which may be central for the protein translocation process. We also show that InvA, a critical export apparatus component, forms a multiring cytoplasmic conduit that provides a pathway for the type III secretion substrates to reach the entrance of the export gate. Combined with structure-guided mutagenesis, our studies provide major insight into potential mechanisms of protein translocation and injectisome assembly.
|Structure viewer||EM map: |
Downloads & links
|File||Download / File: emd_20838.map.gz / Format: CCP4 / Size: 15.6 MB / Type: IMAGE STORED AS FLOATING POINT NUMBER (4 BYTES)|
|Projections & slices|
Images are generated by Spider.
|Voxel size||X=Y=Z: 2.7 Å|
|Symmetry||Space group: 1|
CCP4 map header:
-Entire Export Apparatus in type III secretion machine
|Entire||Name: Export Apparatus in type III secretion machine / Number of components: 1|
-Component #1: protein, Export Apparatus in type III secretion machine
|Protein||Name: Export Apparatus in type III secretion machine / Recombinant expression: No|
|Source||Species: Salmonella enterica subsp. enterica serovar Abony (bacteria)|
|Specimen||Specimen state: Cell|
|Sample solution||Buffer solution: PBS / pH: 7|
|Vitrification||Cryogen name: NONE|
-Electron microscopy imaging
Model: Titan Krios / Image courtesy: FEI Company
|Imaging||Microscope: FEI TITAN KRIOS|
|Electron gun||Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating voltage: 300 kV / Electron dose: 50 e/Å2 / Illumination mode: FLOOD BEAM|
|Lens||Imaging mode: BRIGHT FIELD|
|Specimen Holder||Model: OTHER|
|Camera||Detector: GATAN K2 QUANTUM (4k x 4k)|
|Processing||Method: subtomogram averaging / Applied symmetry: C3 (3 fold cyclic) / Number of subtomograms: 2000|
|3D reconstruction||Resolution: 17 Å / Resolution method: FSC 0.5 CUT-OFF|
-Aug 12, 2020. New: Covid-19 info
New: Covid-19 info
Related info.:Covid-19 info / Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
-Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
Novel coronavirus structure data
- International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) defined the short name of the 2019 coronavirus as "SARS-CoV-2".
The species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2 - nature microbiology
- In the structure databanks used in Yorodumi, some data are registered as the other names, "COVID-19 virus" and "2019-nCoV". Here are the details of the virus and the list of structure data.
Related info.:Yorodumi Speices / Aug 12, 2020. New: Covid-19 info
+Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.:Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
+Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.:Omokage search
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
Related info.:EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi