|Entry||Database: EMDB / ID: EMD-5136|
|Title||CryoEM Structure of Tubular Assembly of HIV-1 CA and Evidence for a Novel Interface|
|Map data||This is a map of tubular assembly of HIV-1 CA|
|Biological species||Human immunodeficiency virus|
|Method||helical reconstruction / cryo EM / Resolution: 16.0 Å|
|Authors||Byeon IL / Meng X / Jung J / Zhao G / Ahn J / Concel J / Aiken C / Gronenborn AM / Zhang P|
|Citation||Journal: Cell / Year: 2009|
Title: Structural convergence between Cryo-EM and NMR reveals intersubunit interactions critical for HIV-1 capsid function.
Authors: In-Ja L Byeon / Xin Meng / Jinwon Jung / Gongpu Zhao / Ruifeng Yang / Jinwoo Ahn / Jiong Shi / Jason Concel / Christopher Aiken / Peijun Zhang / Angela M Gronenborn /
Abstract: Mature HIV-1 particles contain conical-shaped capsids that enclose the viral RNA genome and perform essential functions in the virus life cycle. Previous structural analysis of two- and three- ...Mature HIV-1 particles contain conical-shaped capsids that enclose the viral RNA genome and perform essential functions in the virus life cycle. Previous structural analysis of two- and three-dimensional arrays of the capsid protein (CA) hexamer revealed three interfaces. Here, we present a cryoEM study of a tubular assembly of CA and a high-resolution NMR structure of the CA C-terminal domain (CTD) dimer. In the solution dimer structure, the monomers exhibit different relative orientations compared to previous X-ray structures. The solution structure fits well into the EM density map, suggesting that the dimer interface is retained in the assembled CA. We also identified a CTD-CTD interface at the local three-fold axis in the cryoEM map and confirmed its functional importance by mutagenesis. In the tubular assembly, CA intermolecular interfaces vary slightly, accommodating the asymmetry present in tubes. This provides the necessary plasticity to allow for controlled virus capsid dis/assembly.
|Structure viewer||EM map: |
Downloads & links
|File||Download / File: emd_5136.map.gz / Format: CCP4 / Size: 25.8 MB / Type: IMAGE STORED AS FLOATING POINT NUMBER (4 BYTES)|
|Annotation||This is a map of tubular assembly of HIV-1 CA|
|Projections & slices|
Images are generated by Spider.
generated in cubic-lattice coordinate
|Voxel size||X=Y=Z: 2.15 Å|
|Symmetry||Space group: 1|
CCP4 map header:
-Entire : HIV-1 CA A92E
|Entire||Name: HIV-1 CA A92E|
-Supramolecule #1000: HIV-1 CA A92E
|Supramolecule||Name: HIV-1 CA A92E / type: sample / ID: 1000 / Details: component name, HIV-1 CA protein / Number unique components: 6|
-Macromolecule #1: HIV-1 CA protein
|Macromolecule||Name: HIV-1 CA protein / type: protein_or_peptide / ID: 1 / Name.synonym: hexamer / Recombinant expression: Yes / Database: NCBI|
|Source (natural)||Organism: Human immunodeficiency virus / synonym: Human immunodeficiency virus|
|Vitrification||Cryogen name: NITROGEN / Instrument: OTHER|
|Microscope||FEI POLARA 300|
|Electron beam||Acceleration voltage: 200 kV / Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN|
|Electron optics||Illumination mode: SPOT SCAN / Imaging mode: BRIGHT FIELDBright-field microscopy|
|Sample stage||Specimen holder: liquid nitrogen-cooled cryo specimen holder|
Specimen holder model: GATAN LIQUID NITROGEN
Model: Tecnai Polara / Image courtesy: FEI Company
|Final reconstruction||Resolution.type: BY AUTHOR / Resolution: 16.0 Å / Resolution method: FSC 0.5 CUT-OFF|
-Atomic model buiding 1
|Initial model||PDB ID: |
-Feb 9, 2022. New format data for meta-information of EMDB entries
New format data for meta-information of EMDB entries
- Version 3 of the EMDB header file is now the official format.
- The previous official version 1.9 will be removed from the archive.
Related info.:EMDB header
External links:wwPDB to switch to version 3 of the EMDB data model
-Aug 12, 2020. Covid-19 info
New page: Covid-19 featured information page in EM Navigator.
Related info.:Covid-19 info / Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
+Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
Novel coronavirus structure data
- International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) defined the short name of the 2019 coronavirus as "SARS-CoV-2".
- The species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2 - nature microbiology
- In the structure databanks used in Yorodumi, some data are registered as the other names, "COVID-19 virus" and "2019-nCoV". Here are the details of the virus and the list of structure data.
Related info.:Yorodumi Speices / Aug 12, 2020. Covid-19 info
+Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force.
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.:Q: What is EMD? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
+Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary.
- This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software).
- Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
- The word "yorodu" (or yorozu) is an old Japanese word meaning "ten thousand". "mi" (miru) is to see.
Related info.:EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi