|Title||Structure of the ATP synthase from provides targets for treating tuberculosis.|
|Journal, issue, pages||Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, Vol. 118, Issue 47, Year 2021|
|Publish date||Nov 23, 2021|
|Authors||Martin G Montgomery / Jessica Petri / Tobias E Spikes / John E Walker /|
|PubMed Abstract||The structure has been determined by electron cryomicroscopy of the adenosine triphosphate (ATP) synthase from This analysis confirms features in a prior description of the structure of the enzyme, ...The structure has been determined by electron cryomicroscopy of the adenosine triphosphate (ATP) synthase from This analysis confirms features in a prior description of the structure of the enzyme, but it also describes other highly significant attributes not recognized before that are crucial for understanding the mechanism and regulation of the mycobacterial enzyme. First, we resolved not only the three main states in the catalytic cycle described before but also eight substates that portray structural and mechanistic changes occurring during a 360° catalytic cycle. Second, a mechanism of auto-inhibition of ATP hydrolysis involves not only the engagement of the C-terminal region of an α-subunit in a loop in the γ-subunit, as proposed before, but also a "fail-safe" mechanism involving the b'-subunit in the peripheral stalk that enhances engagement. A third unreported characteristic is that the fused bδ-subunit contains a duplicated domain in its N-terminal region where the two copies of the domain participate in similar modes of attachment of the two of three N-terminal regions of the α-subunits. The auto-inhibitory plus the associated "fail-safe" mechanisms and the modes of attachment of the α-subunits provide targets for development of innovative antitubercular drugs. The structure also provides support for an observation made in the bovine ATP synthase that the transmembrane proton-motive force that provides the energy to drive the rotary mechanism is delivered directly and tangentially to the rotor via a Grotthuss water chain in a polar L-shaped tunnel.|
|External links||Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A / PubMed:34782468|
|Methods||EM (single particle)|
|Resolution||2.11 - 4.32 Å|
|Keywords||HYDROLASE / complex / synthase|
+About EMN Papers
-Oct 5, 2021. Nobel Prize for mechanically activated and temperature-gated ion channels
Nobel Prize for mechanically activated and temperature-gated ion channels
- The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2021 was awarded jointly to David Julius and Ardem Patapoutian "for their discoveries of receptors for temperature and touch."
- EM Navigator can help to find cryo-EM structure data by both pioneers.
-Aug 12, 2020. Covid-19 info
New page: Covid-19 featured information page in EM Navigator.
Related info.:Covid-19 info / Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
+Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
Novel coronavirus structure data
- International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) defined the short name of the 2019 coronavirus as "SARS-CoV-2".
- The species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2 - nature microbiology
- In the structure databanks used in Yorodumi, some data are registered as the other names, "COVID-19 virus" and "2019-nCoV". Here are the details of the virus and the list of structure data.
Related info.:Yorodumi Speices / Aug 12, 2020. Covid-19 info
+Jul 5, 2019. Downlodablable text data
Downlodablable text data
Some data of EM Navigator services can be downloaded as text file. Software such as Excel can load the data files.
|EMN Search||search result||CSV, TSV, or JSON|
|EMN statistics||data table||CSV or TSV|
Related info.:EMN Search / EMN Statistics
+Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force.
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.:Q: What is EMD? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
Database of articles cited by 3DEM data entries
- Database of articles cited by 3DEM data entries in EMDB and PDB
- Using PubMed data
Related info.:EMDB / PDB / Q: What are the data sources of EM Navigator? / EM Navigator / Yorodumi Papers / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi