|Entry||Database: PDB / ID: 6a91|
|Title||Complex of voltage-gated sodium channel NavPaS from American cockroach Periplaneta americana bound with saxitoxin and Dc1a|
|Keywords||MEMBRANE PROTEIN/TOXIN / complex / sodium channel / toxin / MEMBRANE PROTEIN / MEMBRANE PROTEIN-TOXIN complex|
|Function / homology||Ion transport domain / Voltage-dependent channel domain superfamily / Spider Toxins mu-diguetoxin-1 a, b and c / Voltage-dependent L-type calcium channel, IQ-associated / Ion transport protein / Mu-diguetoxin-1 / Voltage-dependent L-type calcium channel, IQ-associated domain / Voltage gated sodium channel, alpha subunit / voltage-gated sodium channel complex / voltage-gated sodium channel activity ...Ion transport domain / Voltage-dependent channel domain superfamily / Spider Toxins mu-diguetoxin-1 a, b and c / Voltage-dependent L-type calcium channel, IQ-associated / Ion transport protein / Mu-diguetoxin-1 / Voltage-dependent L-type calcium channel, IQ-associated domain / Voltage gated sodium channel, alpha subunit / voltage-gated sodium channel complex / voltage-gated sodium channel activity / voltage-gated ion channel activity / other organism presynaptic membrane / regulation of ion transmembrane transport / toxin activity / extracellular region / Sodium channel protein PaFPC1 / Mu-diguetoxin-Dc1a|
Function and homology information
|Specimen source||Periplaneta americana (American cockroach)|
Diguetia canities (spider)
|Method||ELECTRON MICROSCOPY / single particle reconstruction / cryo EM / 3.2 Å resolution|
|Authors||Shen, H.Z. / li, Z.Q. / Jiang, Y. / Pan, X.J. / Wu, J.P. / Cristofori-Armstrong, B. / Smith, J.J. / Chin, Y.K.Y. / Lei, J.L. / Zhou, Q. / King, G.F. / Yan, N.|
|Citation||Journal: Science / Year: 2018|
Title: Structural basis for the modulation of voltage-gated sodium channels by animal toxins.
Authors: Huaizong Shen / Zhangqiang Li / Yan Jiang / Xiaojing Pan / Jianping Wu / Ben Cristofori-Armstrong / Jennifer J Smith / Yanni K Y Chin / Jianlin Lei / Qiang Zhou / Glenn F King / Nieng Yan
Abstract: Animal toxins that modulate the activity of voltage-gated sodium (Na) channels are broadly divided into two categories-pore blockers and gating modifiers. The pore blockers tetrodotoxin (TTX) and ...Animal toxins that modulate the activity of voltage-gated sodium (Na) channels are broadly divided into two categories-pore blockers and gating modifiers. The pore blockers tetrodotoxin (TTX) and saxitoxin (STX) are responsible for puffer fish and shellfish poisoning in humans, respectively. Here, we present structures of the insect Na channel NaPaS bound to a gating modifier toxin Dc1a at 2.8 angstrom-resolution and in the presence of TTX or STX at 2.6-Å and 3.2-Å resolution, respectively. Dc1a inserts into the cleft between VSD and the pore of NaPaS, making key contacts with both domains. The structures with bound TTX or STX reveal the molecular details for the specific blockade of Na access to the selectivity filter from the extracellular side by these guanidinium toxins. The structures shed light on structure-based development of Na channel drugs.
SummaryFull reportAbout validation report
|Date||Deposition: Jul 11, 2018 / Release: Aug 8, 2018|
|Structure viewer||Molecule: |
Downloads & links
A: Sodium channel protein PaFPC1
-Protein/peptide , 2 types, 2 molecules A
|#1: Protein/peptide|| |
Mass: 183875.422 Da / Num. of mol.: 1
Source: (gene. exp.) Periplaneta americana (American cockroach)
Production host: Homo sapiens (human) / References: UniProt: D0E0C2
|#2: Protein/peptide|| |
Mass: 6502.441 Da / Num. of mol.: 1 / Source: (gene. exp.) Diguetia canities (spider) / Production host: Escherichia coli (E. coli) / References: UniProt: P49126
-Non-polymers , 4 types, 13 molecules
|#4: Chemical||#5: Chemical|| ChemComp-9SL / [(||#6: Water|| ChemComp-HOH / |
|Experiment||Method: ELECTRON MICROSCOPY|
|EM experiment||Aggregation state: PARTICLE / Reconstruction method: single particle reconstruction|
|Molecular weight||Value: 0.2 MDa / Experimental value: NO|
|Buffer solution||pH: 7.4|
|Specimen||Embedding applied: NO / Shadowing applied: NO / Staining applied: NO / Vitrification applied: YES|
|Vitrification||Cryogen name: ETHANE|
-Electron microscopy imaging
Model: Titan Krios / Image courtesy: FEI Company
|Microscopy||Microscope model: FEI TITAN KRIOS|
|Electron gun||Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating voltage: 300 kV / Illumination mode: FLOOD BEAM|
|Electron lens||Mode: BRIGHT FIELDBright-field microscopy|
|Image recording||Electron dose: 48 e/Å2 / Film or detector model: GATAN K2 QUANTUM (4k x 4k)|
|Software||Name: PHENIX / Version: 1.11.1_2575: / Classification: refinement|
|CTF correction||Type: PHASE FLIPPING AND AMPLITUDE CORRECTION|
|3D reconstruction||Resolution: 3.2 Å / Resolution method: FSC 0.143 CUT-OFF / Number of particles: 166805 / Symmetry type: POINT|
|Least-squares process||Highest resolution: 3.2 Å|
|Refine LS restraints|
-Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.: Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
-Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.: Omokage search
+Sep 15, 2016. EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
- New versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi started
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi
+Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
- In 15th Sep 2016, the development versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi will replace the official versions.
- Current version will continue as 'legacy version' for some time.
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi / EM Navigator / Yorodumi
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
Related info.: EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi