|Entry||Database: EMDB / ID: 5417|
|Title||Cryo-electron microscopy of the kinesin-14 GCN4-Kar3Vik1 complexed to microtubules in the AMP-PNP state (represents the ATP bound state)|
|Keywords||Kar3Vik1 / kinesin-14 / microtubule / spindle stabilization in mitosis|
|Sample||GCN4-Kar3Vik1 bound to microtubules in the AMP-PNP state|
|Source||Saccharomyces cerevisiae / yeast / Baker's yeast / サッカロミセス・セレビシエ / |
Bos taurus / mammal / bovine / ウシ /
|Map data||Reconstruction of the kinesin-14 GCN4-Kar3Vik1 bound to microtubules in the AMP-PNP state, representative of the ATP-bound state|
|Method||helical reconstruction, at 24.5 Å resolution|
|Authors||Cope J / Rank KC / Gilbert S / Rayment I / Hoenger A|
|Citation||PLoS ONE, 2013, 8, e53792-e53792|
primary. PLoS ONE, 2013, 8, e53792-e53792 Yorodumi Papers
1. J. Cell Biol., 2012, 197, 957-970 Yorodumi Papers
|Date||Deposition: May 1, 2012 / Header (metadata) release: May 15, 2012 / Map release: Feb 6, 2013 / Last update: Mar 2, 2016|
Downloads & links
|File||emd_5417.map.gz (map file in CCP4 format, 11015 KB)|
|Projections & slices|
Images are generated by Spider package.
|Voxel size||X=Y=Z: 3.8 Å|
CCP4 map header:
-Entire GCN4-Kar3Vik1 bound to microtubules in the AMP-PNP state
|Entire||Name: GCN4-Kar3Vik1 bound to microtubules in the AMP-PNP state|
Details: GCN4-Kar3Vik1 was incubated with the non-hydrolyzable ATP analog AMP-PNP to trap the motor in the ATP-state conformation.
Number of components: 2
Oligomeric State: One heterodimer of Kar3Vik1 binds to one heterodimer of alpha-beta tubulin
-Component #1: protein, GCN4-Kar3Vik1
|Protein||Name: GCN4-Kar3Vik1 / Oligomeric Details: Heterodimer|
Details: This truncated version of Kar3Vik1 contains the complete C-terminal globular domains as well as two and a half heptads of the native coiled coil. The GCN4 leucine zipper sequence was added to the N-terminus to initialize dimerization.
Number of Copies: 1 / Recombinant expression: Yes
|Mass||Theoretical: 87 kDa / Experimental: 87 kDa|
|Source||Species: Saccharomyces cerevisiae / yeast / Baker's yeast / サッカロミセス・セレビシエ /|
|Source (engineered)||Expression System: Escherichia coli / bacteria / エシェリキア・コリ, 大腸菌 / |
Vector: pET24d (Kar3), pKLD37 (Vik1)
|Source (natural)||Location in cell: Spindle poles|
-Component #2: protein, alpha-beta tubulin
|Protein||Name: alpha-beta tubulin / Oligomeric Details: Heterodimer / Details: Heterodimer of alpha and beta tubulin / Recombinant expression: No / Number of Copies: 1|
|Mass||Theoretical: 110 kDa / Experimental: 110 kDa|
|Source||Species: Bos taurus / mammal / bovine / ウシ /|
|Source (natural)||Location in cell: cytosol / Organ or tissue: brain|
|Helical parameters||Axial symmetry: C1 (asymmetric) / Hand: LEFT HANDED / Delta z: 10.666 Å / Delta phi: 24 deg.|
|Sample solution||Specimen conc.: 0.7 mg/ml|
Buffer solution: 20mM HEPES, 5mM magnesium acetate, 50mM potassium acetate, 0.1mM EDTA, 0.1mM EGTA, 1mM DTT
|Support film||C-flat 200 mesh copper grid with holey carbon film.|
|Vitrification||Instrument: HOMEMADE PLUNGER / Cryogen name: ETHANE / Temperature: 93 K|
Method: 5 uL of 0.41 mg/mL microtubules was adsorbed to a grid for 45 seconds. Excess liquid was blotted away and immediately 5 uL of 0.70 mg/mL Kar3Vik1 complexed with AMP-PNP was added to the microtubules for 2 minutes. Excess liquid was blotted for approximately 2.5 seconds prior to plunging.
Details: Vitrification carried out at room temperature
-Electron microscopy imaging
Model: Tecnai F20 / Image courtesy: FEI Company
|Imaging||Microscope: FEI TECNAI F20 / Date: Jun 8, 2011 / Details: Low-dose cryo-EM recording|
|Electron gun||Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating voltage: 200 kV / Electron dose: 15 e/Å2 / Illumination mode: FLOOD BEAM|
|Lens||Magnification: 29000 X (nominal)|
Astigmatism: Objective lens astigmatism was corrected at 100,000 times magnification.
Cs: 2 mm / Imaging mode: BRIGHT FIELD / Defocus: 1500 - 2500 nm
|Specimen Holder||Holder: GATAN 626 cryo-holder / Model: GATAN LIQUID NITROGEN / Temperature: 96 K ( 95 - 97 K)|
|Camera||Detector: GATAN ULTRASCAN 4000 (4k x 4k)|
|Image acquisition||Number of digital images: 34 / Sampling size: 15 microns / Bit depth: 14 / OD range: 1.4 / Details: Recorded on CCD 4K camera|
|Processing||Method: helical reconstruction / Details: Helical processing was carried out with PHOELIX|
|3D reconstruction||Algorithm: Helical reconstruction using PHOELIX / Software: IMOD, PHOELIX, SUPRIM|
Details: Final map was calculated from an average of 67 datasets including approximately 27000 asymmetric units.
Resolution: 24.5 Å / Resolution method: FSC 0.5
-Oct 4, 2017. Three pioneers of this field were awarded Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2017
Three pioneers of this field were awarded Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2017
- Jacques Dubochet (University of Lausanne, Switzerland) is a pioneer of ice-embedding method of EM specimen (as known as cryo-EM), Most of 3DEM structures in EMDB and PDB are obtained using his method.
- Joachim Frank (Columbia University, New York, USA) is a pioneer of single particle reconstruction, which is the most used reconstruction method for 3DEM structures in EMDB and EM entries in PDB. And also, he is a develper of Spider, which is one of the most famous software in this field, and is used for some EM Navigor data (e.g. map projection/slice images).
- Richard Henderson (MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK) was determined the first biomolecule structure by EM. The first EM entry in PDB, PDB-1brd is determinedby him.
External links: The 2017 Nobel Prize in Chemistry - Press Release
-Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.: Omokage search
+Sep 15, 2016. EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
- New versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi started
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi / EM Navigator (legacy version) / Yorodumi (legacy version)
+Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
- In 15th Sep 2016, the development versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi will replace the official versions.
- Current version will continue as 'legacy version' for some time.
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi / EM Navigator / Yorodumi / EM Navigator (legacy version) / Yorodumi (legacy version)
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- All the functionalities will be ported from the levgacy version.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
Related info.: Yorodumi (legacy version) / EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi