|Entry||Database: EMDB / ID: EMD-0464|
|Title||Legionella pneumophila bacterial flagellar motor|
|Sample||Legionella pneumophila bacterial flagellar motor|
|Biological species||Legionella pneumophila (bacteria)|
|Method||subtomogram averaging / cryo EM / Resolution: 64 Å|
|Authors||Kaplan M / Ghosal D / Subramanian P / Oikonomou CO / Kjaer A / Pirbadian S / Ortega DR / Briegel A / El-Naggar MY / Jensen GJ|
Journal: Elife / Year: 2019
Title: The presence and absence of periplasmic rings in bacterial flagellar motors correlates with stator type.
Authors: Mohammed Kaplan / Debnath Ghosal / Poorna Subramanian / Catherine M Oikonomou / Andreas Kjaer / Sahand Pirbadian / Davi R Ortega / Ariane Briegel / Mohamed Y El-Naggar / Grant J Jensen /
Abstract: The bacterial flagellar motor, a cell-envelope-embedded macromolecular machine that functions as a cellular propeller, exhibits significant structural variability between species. Different torque- ...The bacterial flagellar motor, a cell-envelope-embedded macromolecular machine that functions as a cellular propeller, exhibits significant structural variability between species. Different torque-generating stator modules allow motors to operate in different pH, salt or viscosity levels. How such diversity evolved is unknown. Here, we use electron cryo-tomography to determine the in situ macromolecular structures of three Gammaproteobacteria motors: , , and , providing the first views of intact motors with dual stator systems. Complementing our imaging with bioinformatics analysis, we find a correlation between the motor's stator system and its structural elaboration. Motors with a single H-driven stator have only the core periplasmic P- and L-rings; those with dual H-driven stators have an elaborated P-ring; and motors with Na or Na/H-driven stators have both their P- and L-rings embellished. Our results suggest an evolution of structural elaboration that may have enabled pathogenic bacteria to colonize higher-viscosity environments in animal hosts.
|Structure viewer||EM map: |
Downloads & links
|File||Download / File: emd_0464.map.gz / Format: CCP4 / Size: 684.6 KB / Type: IMAGE STORED AS FLOATING POINT NUMBER (4 BYTES)|
|Projections & slices|
Images are generated by Spider.
generated in cubic-lattice coordinate
|Voxel size||X=Y=Z: 15.6 Å|
|Symmetry||Space group: 1|
CCP4 map header:
-Entire Legionella pneumophila bacterial flagellar motor
|Entire||Name: Legionella pneumophila bacterial flagellar motor / Number of components: 1|
-Component #1: protein, Legionella pneumophila bacterial flagellar motor
|Protein||Name: Legionella pneumophila bacterial flagellar motor / Recombinant expression: No|
|Source||Species: Legionella pneumophila (bacteria)|
|Specimen||Specimen state: Cell / Method: cryo EM|
|Sample solution||pH: 6.9|
|Vitrification||Cryogen name: OTHER|
-Electron microscopy imaging
Model: Tecnai Polara / Image courtesy: FEI Company
|Imaging||Microscope: FEI POLARA 300|
|Electron gun||Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating voltage: 300 kV / Electron dose: 1.2 e/Å2 / Illumination mode: FLOOD BEAM|
|Lens||Imaging mode: BRIGHT FIELD|
|Specimen Holder||Model: OTHER|
|Camera||Detector: GATAN K2 SUMMIT (4k x 4k)|
|Processing||Method: subtomogram averaging / Applied symmetry: C2 (2 fold cyclic) / Number of subtomograms: 44|
|3D reconstruction||Software: IMOD, TOMO3D, PEET / Resolution: 64 Å / Resolution method: FSC 0.143 CUT-OFF|
-Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.:Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
-Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.:Omokage search
+Sep 15, 2016. EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
- New versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi started
Related info.:Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi
+Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
- In 15th Sep 2016, the development versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi will replace the official versions.
- Current version will continue as 'legacy version' for some time.
Related info.:Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi / EM Navigator / Yorodumi
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
Related info.:EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi