|Title||Structural basis of σ appropriation.|
|Journal, issue, pages||Nucleic Acids Res., Vol. 47, Issue 17, Page 9423-9432, Year 2019|
|Publish date||Sep 26, 2019|
|Authors||Jing Shi / Aijia Wen / Minxing Zhao / Linlin You / Yu Zhang / Yu Feng /|
|PubMed Abstract||Bacteriophage T4 middle promoters are activated through a process called σ appropriation, which requires the concerted effort of two T4-encoded transcription factors: AsiA and MotA. Despite ...Bacteriophage T4 middle promoters are activated through a process called σ appropriation, which requires the concerted effort of two T4-encoded transcription factors: AsiA and MotA. Despite extensive biochemical and genetic analyses, puzzle remains, in part, because of a lack of precise structural information for σ appropriation complex. Here, we report a single-particle cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM) structure of an intact σ appropriation complex, comprising AsiA, MotA, Escherichia coli RNA polymerase (RNAP), σ70 and a T4 middle promoter. As expected, AsiA binds to and remodels σ region 4 to prevent its contact with host promoters. Unexpectedly, AsiA undergoes a large conformational change, takes over the job of σ region 4 and provides an anchor point for the upstream double-stranded DNA. Because σ region 4 is conserved among bacteria, other transcription factors may use the same strategy to alter the landscape of transcription immediately. Together, the structure provides a foundation for understanding σ appropriation and transcription activation.|
|External links||PubMed:31392983 / Publisher's page|
|Keywords||AsiA protein, Enterobacteria phage T4 / Bacteriophage T4 / DNA / DNA-Binding Proteins / DNA-Directed RNA Polymerases / Escherichia coli / MotA protein, Enterobacteria phage T4 / Multiprotein Complexes / Promoter Regions, Genetic / Protein Conformation / Transcription Factors / Viral Proteins / TRANSCRIPTION / RNA polymerase / sigma appropriation / transcription activation / promoter|
|Methods||EM (single particle)|
+About Yorodumi Papers
-Aug 12, 2020. New: Covid-19 info
New: Covid-19 info
Related info.:Covid-19 info / Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
-Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
Novel coronavirus structure data
- International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) defined the short name of the 2019 coronavirus as "SARS-CoV-2".
The species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2 - nature microbiology
- In the structure databanks used in Yorodumi, some data are registered as the other names, "COVID-19 virus" and "2019-nCoV". Here are the details of the virus and the list of structure data.
Related info.:Yorodumi Speices / Aug 12, 2020. New: Covid-19 info
+Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.:Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
+Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.:Omokage search
Database of articles cited by EMDB/PDB/SASBDB data
- Database of articles cited by EMDB, PDB, and SASBDB entries
- Using PubMed data
Related info.:EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Yorodumi / EMN Papers / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi