|Entry||Database: EMDB / ID: 8603|
|Title||Sub-tomogram average of the archaellar motor in Thermococcus kodakaraensis|
|Source||Thermococcus kodakaraensis (archaea)|
|Method||subtomogram averaging / cryo EM / 40 Å resolution|
|Authors||Chang Y-W / Kjaer A / Briegel A / Oikonomou CM / Jensen GJ|
|Citation||Journal: EMBO Rep. / Year: 2017|
Title: Morphology of the archaellar motor and associated cytoplasmic cone in .
Authors: Ariane Briegel / Catherine M Oikonomou / Yi-Wei Chang / Andreas Kjær / Audrey N Huang / Ki Woo Kim / Debnath Ghosal / Hong H Nguyen / Dorothy Kenny / Rachel R Ogorzalek Loo / Robert P Gunsalus / Grant J Jensen
Abstract: Archaeal swimming motility is driven by archaella: rotary motors attached to long extracellular filaments. The structure of these motors, and particularly how they are anchored in the absence of a ...Archaeal swimming motility is driven by archaella: rotary motors attached to long extracellular filaments. The structure of these motors, and particularly how they are anchored in the absence of a peptidoglycan cell wall, is unknown. Here, we use electron cryotomography to visualize the archaellar basal body in KOD1. Compared to the homologous bacterial type IV pilus (T4P), we observe structural similarities as well as several unique features. While the position of the cytoplasmic ATPase appears conserved, it is not braced by linkages that extend upward through the cell envelope as in the T4P, but rather by cytoplasmic components that attach it to a large conical frustum up to 500 nm in diameter at its base. In addition to anchoring the lophotrichous bundle of archaella, the conical frustum associates with chemosensory arrays and ribosome-excluding material and may function as a polar organizing center for the coccoid cells.
|Date||Deposition: Feb 13, 2017 / Header (metadata) release: Feb 22, 2017 / Map release: Jul 26, 2017 / Last update: Feb 14, 2018|
|Structure viewer||EM map: |
Downloads & links
|File||emd_8603.map.gz (map file in CCP4 format, 1001 KB)|
|Projections & slices|
Images are generated by Spider.
|Voxel size||X=Y=Z: 6.6 Å|
CCP4 map header:
-Entire Archaellar motor
|Entire||Name: Archaellar motor / Number of components: 1|
-Component #1: protein, Archaellar motor
|Protein||Name: Archaellar motor / Recombinant expression: No|
|Source||Species: Thermococcus kodakaraensis (archaea)|
|Specimen||Specimen state: cell / Method: cryo EM|
|Sample solution||pH: 7|
|Vitrification||Cryogen name: ETHANE-PROPANE MIXTURE|
-Electron microscopy imaging
Model: Tecnai Polara / Image courtesy: FEI Company
|Imaging||Microscope: FEI POLARA 300|
|Electron gun||Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating voltage: 300 kV / Electron dose: 1.5 e/Å2 / Illumination mode: FLOOD BEAM|
|Lens||Imaging mode: BRIGHT FIELD|
|Specimen Holder||Model: OTHER|
|Camera||Detector: GATAN K2 (4k x 4k)|
|Processing||Method: subtomogram averaging / Applied symmetry: C20 (20 fold cyclic)|
|3D reconstruction||Software: TOMO3D / Resolution: 40 Å / Resolution method: OTHER|
-Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
-Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.: Omokage search
+Sep 15, 2016. EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
- New versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi started
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi
+Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
- In 15th Sep 2016, the development versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi will replace the official versions.
- Current version will continue as 'legacy version' for some time.
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi / EM Navigator / Yorodumi
+Apr 13, 2016. Omokage search got faster
Omokage search got faster
- The computation time became ~1/2 compared to the previous version by re-optimization of data accession
- Enjoy "shape similarity" of biomolecules, more!
Related info.: Omokage search
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
Related info.: EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi