|Entry||Database: EMDB / ID: 6702|
|Title||Cryo-EM Study of an Engineered Enterovirus 71-Like Particle Mimicking 80S Empty Capsid|
|Method||single particle reconstruction / cryo EM / 3.71 Å resolution|
|Authors||Wang X / Ku Z / Zhang X / Cong Y / Huang Z|
|Citation||Journal: J. Virol. / Year: 2018|
Title: Structure, Immunogenicity, and Protective Mechanism of an Engineered Enterovirus 71-Like Particle Vaccine Mimicking 80S Empty Capsid.
Authors: Xiaoli Wang / Zhiqiang Ku / Xiang Zhang / Xiaohua Ye / Jinhuan Chen / Qingwei Liu / Wei Zhang / Chao Zhang / Zhenglin Fu / Xia Jin / Yao Cong / Zhong Huang
Abstract: Enterovirus 71 (EV71) is the major causative agent of severe hand, foot, and mouth disease, which affects millions of young children in the Asia-Pacific region annually. In this study, we engineered ...Enterovirus 71 (EV71) is the major causative agent of severe hand, foot, and mouth disease, which affects millions of young children in the Asia-Pacific region annually. In this study, we engineered a novel EV71 virus-like particle (VLP) that lacks VP4 (therefore designated VLP) and investigated its structure, antigenicity, and vaccine potential. The cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM) structure of VLP was reconstructed to 3.71-Å resolution. Results from structural and biochemical analyses revealed that VLP resembles the end product of the viral uncoating process, the 80S empty capsid. VLP is able to elicit high-titer neutralizing antibodies and to fully protect mice against lethal viral challenge. Mechanistic studies showed that, at the cellular level, the anti-VLP sera exert neutralization effects at both pre- and postattachment stages by inhibiting both virus attachment and internalization, and at the molecular level, the antisera can block multiple interactions between EV71 and its key receptors. Our study gives a better understanding of EV71 capsid assembly and provides important information for the design and development of new-generation vaccines for EV71, and perhaps for other enteroviruses, as well. Enterovirus 71 (EV71) infection may lead to severe hand, foot, and mouth disease, with significant morbidity and mortality. Knowledge regarding EV71 particle assembly remains limited. Here, we report the generation and characterization of a novel EV71 virus-like particle that lacks the VP4 capsid subunit protein. This particle, termed VLP, structurally mimics the 80S empty capsid, which is the end stage of EV71 uncoating. We further show that VLP exhibits desirable immunogenicity and protective efficacy in proof-of-concept studies. In addition, the inhibitory mechanisms of the VLP-induced antibodies are unraveled at both the cellular and molecular levels. Our work provides the first evidence of picornaviral particle assembly in the complete absence of VP4 and identifies VLP as an improved EV71 vaccine candidate with desirable traits. These findings not only enhance our understanding of particle assembly and uncoating of picornaviruses, but also provide important information for structure-guided vaccine design for EV71 and other enteroviruses.
|Date||Deposition: Feb 8, 2017 / Header (metadata) release: Oct 18, 2017 / Map release: Oct 25, 2017 / Last update: Nov 1, 2017|
|Structure viewer||EM map: |
Downloads & links
|File||emd_6702.map.gz (map file in CCP4 format, 322487 KB)|
|Projections & slices|
Images are generated by Spider.
|Voxel size||X=Y=Z: 0.9975 Å|
CCP4 map header:
-Entire Enterovirus A71
|Entire||Name: Enterovirus A71 / Number of components: 1|
-Component #1: virus, Enterovirus A71
|Virus||Name: Enterovirus A71 / Class: VIRUS-LIKE PARTICLE / Empty: Yes / Enveloped: No / Isolate: OTHER|
|Species||Species: Enterovirus A71|
|Specimen||Specimen state: particle / Method: cryo EM|
|Sample solution||pH: 7|
|Vitrification||Instrument: FEI VITROBOT MARK III / Cryogen name: ETHANE / Humidity: 100 %|
-Electron microscopy imaging
Model: Titan Krios / Image courtesy: FEI Company
|Imaging||Microscope: FEI TITAN KRIOS|
|Electron gun||Electron source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating voltage: 300 kV / Electron dose: 38 e/Å2 / Illumination mode: FLOOD BEAM|
|Lens||Imaging mode: BRIGHT FIELD|
|Specimen Holder||Model: OTHER|
|Camera||Detector: GATAN K2 SUMMIT (4k x 4k)|
|Processing||Method: single particle reconstruction / Applied symmetry: I (icosahedral) / Number of projections: 7887|
|3D reconstruction||Resolution: 3.71 Å / Resolution method: FSC 0.143 CUT-OFF|
-Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.: Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
-Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.: Omokage search
+Sep 15, 2016. EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
EM Navigator & Yorodumi renewed
- New versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi started
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi
+Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
New EM Navigator & Yorodumi
- In 15th Sep 2016, the development versions of EM Navigator and Yorodumi will replace the official versions.
- Current version will continue as 'legacy version' for some time.
Related info.: Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi / EM Navigator / Yorodumi
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
Related info.: EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi