|Entry||Database: EMDB / ID: EMD-13757|
|Title||P. carterae coccolith vesicle with mature base plate|
|Biological species||Chrysotila carterae (eukaryote)|
|Method||electron tomography / cryo EM|
|Authors||Kadan Y / Mahamid J / Gal A / Tollervey F|
|Funding support||European Union, 2 items |
|Citation||Journal: Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A / Year: 2021|
Title: Intracellular nanoscale architecture as a master regulator of calcium carbonate crystallization in marine microalgae.
Authors: Yuval Kadan / Fergus Tollervey / Neta Varsano / Julia Mahamid / Assaf Gal /
Abstract: Unicellular marine microalgae are responsible for one of the largest carbon sinks on Earth. This is in part due to intracellular formation of calcium carbonate scales termed coccoliths. ...Unicellular marine microalgae are responsible for one of the largest carbon sinks on Earth. This is in part due to intracellular formation of calcium carbonate scales termed coccoliths. Traditionally, the influence of changing environmental conditions on this process has been estimated using poorly constrained analogies to crystallization mechanisms in bulk solution, yielding ambiguous predictions. Here, we elucidated the intracellular nanoscale environment of coccolith formation in the model species using cryoelectron tomography. By visualizing cells at various stages of the crystallization process, we reconstructed a timeline of coccolith development. The three-dimensional data portray the native-state structural details of coccolith formation, uncovering the crystallization mechanism, and how it is spatially and temporally controlled. Most strikingly, the developing crystals are only tens of nanometers away from delimiting membranes, resulting in a highly confined volume for crystal growth. We calculate that the number of soluble ions that can be found in such a minute volume at any given time point is less than the number needed to allow the growth of a single atomic layer of the crystal and that the uptake of single protons can markedly affect nominal pH values. In such extreme confinement, the crystallization process is expected to depend primarily on the regulation of ion fluxes by the living cell, and nominal ion concentrations, such as pH, become the result, rather than a driver, of the crystallization process. These findings call for a new perspective on coccolith formation that does not rely exclusively on solution chemistry.
Downloads & links
|File||Download / File: emd_13757.map.gz / Format: CCP4 / Size: 821.3 MB / Type: IMAGE STORED AS SIGNED INTEGER (2 BYTES)|
|Projections & slices|
Images are generated by Spider.
generated in cubic-lattice coordinate
|Voxel size||X=Y=Z: 13.48 Å|
|Symmetry||Space group: 1|
CCP4 map header:
-Entire Pleurochrysis carterae
|Entire||Name: Pleurochrysis carterae / Number of Components: 1|
-Component #1: cellular-component, Pleurochrysis carterae
|Cellular-component||Name: Pleurochrysis carterae / Recombinant expression: No|
|Source||Species: Chrysotila carterae (eukaryote)|
|Specimen||Specimen State: Cell / Method: cryo EM|
|Sample solution||Buffer solution: Sterile artificial seawater, supplemented with an f/2 nutrient recipe|
|Support film||15 mA current|
|Vitrification||Instrument: LEICA EM GP / Cryogen Name: ETHANE|
-Electron microscopy imaging
Model: Titan Krios / Image courtesy: FEI Company
|Imaging||Microscope: FEI TITAN KRIOS|
|Electron gun||Electron Source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating Voltage: 300 kV / Electron Dose: 2.24 e/Å2 / Illumination Mode: FLOOD BEAM|
|Lens||Magnification: 42000.0 X (nominal) / Cs: 2.7 mm / Imaging Mode: BRIGHT FIELD / Energy Filter: GIF Quantum LS|
|Specimen Holder||Model: FEI TITAN KRIOS AUTOGRID HOLDER|
|Camera||Detector: GATAN K2 SUMMIT (4k x 4k)|
|Processing||Method: electron tomography / Number of Sections: 51|
|3D reconstruction||Algorithm: BACK PROJECTION / Software: IMOD|
-Aug 12, 2020. Covid-19 info
New page: Covid-19 featured information page in EM Navigator.
Related info.:Covid-19 info / Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
-Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
Novel coronavirus structure data
- International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) defined the short name of the 2019 coronavirus as "SARS-CoV-2".
- The species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2 - nature microbiology
- In the structure databanks used in Yorodumi, some data are registered as the other names, "COVID-19 virus" and "2019-nCoV". Here are the details of the virus and the list of structure data.
Related info.:Yorodumi Speices / Aug 12, 2020. Covid-19 info
+Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force.
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.:Q: What is EMD? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
+Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary.
- This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software).
- Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.:Omokage search
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
- The word "yorodu" (or yorozu) is an old Japanese word meaning "ten thousand". "mi" (miru) is to see.
Related info.:EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi