|Entry||Database: EMDB / ID: EMD-13730|
|Title||Cryo-electron tomography of an attached epibiotic cell of Ca. Absconditicoccus predator|
|Sample||Cryo-electron tomography of an attached epibiotic cell of Ca. Absconditicoccus predator|
|Biological species||bacterium (bacteria)|
|Method||electron tomography / cryo EM|
|Authors||Gaisin V / Pilhofer M|
|Funding support||European Union, 2 items |
|Citation||Journal: Environ Microbiol / Year: 2021|
Title: Cultivation of a vampire: 'Candidatus Absconditicoccus praedator'.
Authors: Michail M Yakimov / Alexander Y Merkel / Vasil A Gaisin / Martin Pilhofer / Enzo Messina / John E Hallsworth / Alexandra A Klyukina / Ekaterina N Tikhonova / Vladimir M Gorlenko /
Abstract: Halorhodospira halophila, one of the most-xerophilic halophiles, inhabits biophysically stressful and energetically expensive, salt-saturated alkaline brines. Here, we report an additional stress ...Halorhodospira halophila, one of the most-xerophilic halophiles, inhabits biophysically stressful and energetically expensive, salt-saturated alkaline brines. Here, we report an additional stress factor that is biotic: a diminutive Candidate-Phyla-Radiation bacterium, that we named 'Ca. Absconditicoccus praedator' M39-6, which predates H. halophila M39-5, an obligately photosynthetic, anaerobic purple-sulfur bacterium. We cultivated this association (isolated from the hypersaline alkaline Lake Hotontyn Nur, Mongolia) and characterized their biology. 'Ca. Absconditicoccus praedator' is the first stably cultivated species from the candidate class-level lineage Gracilibacteria (order-level lineage Absconditabacterales). Its closed-and-curated genome lacks genes for the glycolytic, pentose phosphate- and Entner-Doudoroff pathways which would generate energy/reducing equivalents and produce central carbon currencies. Therefore, 'Ca. Absconditicoccus praedator' is dependent on host-derived building blocks for nucleic acid-, protein-, and peptidoglycan synthesis. It shares traits with (the uncultured) 'Ca. Vampirococcus lugosii', which is also of the Gracilibacteria lineage. These are obligate parasitic lifestyle, feeding on photosynthetic anoxygenic Gammaproteobacteria, and absorption of host cytoplasm. Commonalities in their genomic composition and structure suggest that the entire Absconditabacterales lineage consists of predatory species which act to cull the populations of their respective host bacteria. Cultivation of vampire : host associations can shed light on unresolved aspects of their metabolism and ecosystem dynamics at life-limiting extremes.
Downloads & links
|File||Download / File: emd_13730.map.gz / Format: CCP4 / Size: 167.6 MB / Type: IMAGE STORED AS SIGNED INTEGER (2 BYTES)|
|Projections & slices|
Images are generated by Spider.
generated in cubic-lattice coordinate
|Voxel size||X=Y=Z: 18.28 Å|
|Symmetry||Space group: 1|
CCP4 map header:
-Entire Cryo-electron tomography of an attached epibiotic cell of Ca. Abs...
|Entire||Name: Cryo-electron tomography of an attached epibiotic cell of Ca. Absconditicoccus predator|
Number of Components: 1
-Component #1: cellular-component, Cryo-electron tomography of an attached epibi...
|Cellular-component||Name: Cryo-electron tomography of an attached epibiotic cell of Ca. Absconditicoccus predator|
Recombinant expression: No
|Source||Species: bacterium (bacteria)|
|Specimen||Specimen State: Cell / Method: cryo EM|
|Sample solution||pH: 9|
|Support film||PELCO easiGlowTM Ted Pella 15 mA for 15 s|
|Vitrification||Instrument: FEI VITROBOT MARK IV / Cryogen Name: OTHER / Temperature: 295.15 K / Humidity: 100 %|
-Electron microscopy imaging
Model: Titan Krios / Image courtesy: FEI Company
|Imaging||Microscope: FEI TITAN KRIOS|
|Electron gun||Electron Source: FIELD EMISSION GUN / Accelerating Voltage: 300 kV / Electron Dose: 2.524 e/Å2 / Illumination Mode: FLOOD BEAM|
|Lens||Imaging Mode: BRIGHT FIELD|
|Specimen Holder||Model: OTHER|
|Processing||Method: electron tomography / Number of Sections: 61|
|3D reconstruction||Algorithm: BACK PROJECTION / Software: IMOD|
-Aug 12, 2020. Covid-19 info
New page: Covid-19 featured information page in EM Navigator.
Related info.:Covid-19 info / Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
-Mar 5, 2020. Novel coronavirus structure data
Novel coronavirus structure data
- International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses (ICTV) defined the short name of the 2019 coronavirus as "SARS-CoV-2".
- The species Severe acute respiratory syndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2 - nature microbiology
- In the structure databanks used in Yorodumi, some data are registered as the other names, "COVID-19 virus" and "2019-nCoV". Here are the details of the virus and the list of structure data.
Related info.:Yorodumi Speices / Aug 12, 2020. Covid-19 info
+Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force.
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.:Q: What is EMD? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
+Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary.
- This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software).
- Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.:Omokage search
Thousand views of thousand structures
- Yorodumi is a browser for structure data from EMDB, PDB, SASBDB, etc.
- This page is also the successor to EM Navigator detail page, and also detail information page/front-end page for Omokage search.
- The word "yorodu" (or yorozu) is an old Japanese word meaning "ten thousand". "mi" (miru) is to see.
Related info.:EMDB / PDB / SASBDB / Comparison of 3 databanks / Yorodumi Search / Aug 31, 2016. New EM Navigator & Yorodumi / Yorodumi Papers / Jmol/JSmol / Function and homology information / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi