|Title||Partially inserted nascent chain unzips the lateral gate of the Sec translocon.|
|Journal, issue, pages||EMBO Rep., Page e48191, Year 2019|
|Publish date||Aug 5, 2019|
|Authors||Lukas Kater / Benedikt Frieg / Otto Berninghausen / Holger Gohlke / Roland Beckmann / Alexej Kedrov /|
|PubMed Abstract||The Sec translocon provides the lipid bilayer entry for ribosome-bound nascent chains and thus facilitates membrane protein biogenesis. Despite the appreciated role of the native environment in the ...The Sec translocon provides the lipid bilayer entry for ribosome-bound nascent chains and thus facilitates membrane protein biogenesis. Despite the appreciated role of the native environment in the translocon:ribosome assembly, structural information on the complex in the lipid membrane is scarce. Here, we present a cryo-electron microscopy-based structure of bacterial translocon SecYEG in lipid nanodiscs and elucidate an early intermediate state upon insertion of the FtsQ anchor domain. Insertion of the short nascent chain causes initial displacements within the lateral gate of the translocon, where α-helices 2b, 7, and 8 tilt within the membrane core to "unzip" the gate at the cytoplasmic side. Molecular dynamics simulations demonstrate that the conformational change is reversed in the absence of the ribosome, and suggest that the accessory α-helices of SecE subunit modulate the lateral gate conformation. Site-specific cross-linking validates that the FtsQ nascent chain passes the lateral gate upon insertion. The structure and the biochemical data suggest that the partially inserted nascent chain remains highly flexible until it acquires the transmembrane topology.|
|External links||PubMed:31379073 / Publisher's page|
|Keywords||MEMBRANE PROTEIN / monomeric translocon / nanodisc / insertion intermediate|
|Methods||EM (single particle)|
+About EMN Papers
-Jul 5, 2019. Downlodablable text data
Downlodablable text data
- Some data of EM Navigator services can be downloaded as text file. Software such as Excel can load the data files.
Page Data Format EMN Search search result CSV, TSV, or JSON EMN statistics data table CSV or TSV
Related info.: EMN Search / EMN Statistics
-Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.: Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
+Feb 20, 2018. PDBj/BINDS workshop in Osaka University
PDBj/BINDS workshop in Osaka University
+Oct 4, 2017. Three pioneers of this field were awarded Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2017
Three pioneers of this field were awarded Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2017
- Jacques Dubochet (University of Lausanne, Switzerland) is a pioneer of ice-embedding method of EM specimen (as known as cryo-EM), Most of 3DEM structures in EMDB and PDB are obtained using his method.
- Joachim Frank (Columbia University, New York, USA) is a pioneer of single particle reconstruction, which is the most used reconstruction method for 3DEM structures in EMDB and EM entries in PDB. And also, he is a develper of Spider, which is one of the most famous software in this field, and is used for some EM Navigor data (e.g. map projection/slice images).
- Richard Henderson (MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK) was determined the first biomolecule structure by EM. The first EM entry in PDB, PDB-1brd is determinedby him.
External links: The 2017 Nobel Prize in Chemistry - Press Release
+Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
Database of articles cited by 3DEM data entries
- Database of articles cited by 3DEM data entries in EMDB and PDB
- Using PubMed data
Related info.: EMDB / PDB / Q: What is the data source of EM Navigator? / EM Navigator / Yorodumi Papers / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi