|Title||Structural snapshots of actively transcribing influenza polymerase.|
|Journal, issue, pages||Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol., Vol. 26, Issue 6, Page 460-470, Year 2019|
|Publish date||Jun 3, 2019|
|Authors||Tomas Kouba / Petra Drncová / Stephen Cusack /|
|PubMed Abstract||Influenza virus RNA-dependent RNA polymerase uses unique mechanisms to transcribe its single-stranded genomic viral RNA (vRNA) into messenger RNA. The polymerase is initially bound to a promoter ...Influenza virus RNA-dependent RNA polymerase uses unique mechanisms to transcribe its single-stranded genomic viral RNA (vRNA) into messenger RNA. The polymerase is initially bound to a promoter comprising the partially base-paired 3' and 5' extremities of the RNA. A short, capped primer, 'cap-snatched' from a nascent host polymerase II transcript, is directed towards the polymerase active site to initiate RNA synthesis. Here we present structural snapshots, as determined by X-ray crystallography and cryo-electron microscopy, of actively initiating influenza polymerase as it transitions towards processive elongation. Unexpected conformational changes unblock the active site cavity to allow establishment of a nine-base-pair template-product RNA duplex before the strands separate into distinct exit channels. Concomitantly, as the template translocates, the promoter base pairs are broken and the template entry region is remodeled. These structures reveal details of the influenza polymerase active site that will help optimize nucleoside analogs or other compounds that directly inhibit viral RNA synthesis.|
|External links||PubMed:31160782 / Publisher's page|
|Keywords||VIRAL PROTEIN / Influenza polzmerase / Viral protein / Influenza B Polymerase / RNA dependent RNA polymerase|
|Methods||EM (single particle) / X-ray diffraction|
|Resolution||2.88 - 3.24 A|
+About EMN Papers
-Jan 31, 2019. EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
EMDB accession codes are about to change! (news from PDBe EMDB page)
- The allocation of 4 digits for EMDB accession codes will soon come to an end. Whilst these codes will remain in use, new EMDB accession codes will include an additional digit and will expand incrementally as the available range of codes is exhausted. The current 4-digit format prefixed with “EMD-” (i.e. EMD-XXXX) will advance to a 5-digit format (i.e. EMD-XXXXX), and so on. It is currently estimated that the 4-digit codes will be depleted around Spring 2019, at which point the 5-digit format will come into force. (see PDBe EMDB page)
- The EM Navigator/Yorodumi systems omit the EMD- prefix.
Related info.: Q: What is "EMD"? / ID/Accession-code notation in Yorodumi/EM Navigator
-Feb 20, 2018. PDBj/BINDS workshop in Osaka University
PDBj/BINDS workshop in Osaka University
+Oct 4, 2017. Three pioneers of this field were awarded Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2017
Three pioneers of this field were awarded Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2017
- Jacques Dubochet (University of Lausanne, Switzerland) is a pioneer of ice-embedding method of EM specimen (as known as cryo-EM), Most of 3DEM structures in EMDB and PDB are obtained using his method.
- Joachim Frank (Columbia University, New York, USA) is a pioneer of single particle reconstruction, which is the most used reconstruction method for 3DEM structures in EMDB and EM entries in PDB. And also, he is a develper of Spider, which is one of the most famous software in this field, and is used for some EM Navigor data (e.g. map projection/slice images).
- Richard Henderson (MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK) was determined the first biomolecule structure by EM. The first EM entry in PDB, PDB-1brd is determinedby him.
External links: The 2017 Nobel Prize in Chemistry - Press Release
+Jul 12, 2017. Major update of PDB
Major update of PDB
- wwPDB released updated PDB data conforming to the new PDBx/mmCIF dictionary. This is a major update changing the version number from 4 to 5, and with Remediation, in which all the entries are updated. See below links for details.
- In this update, many items about electron microscopy experimental information are reorganized (e.g. em_software). Now, EM Navigator and Yorodumi are based on the updated data.
+Jun 16, 2017. Omokage search with filter
Omokage search with filter
- Result of Omokage search can be filtered by keywords and the database types
Related info.: Omokage search
Database of articles cited by 3DEM data entries
- Database of articles cited by 3DEM data entries in EMDB and PDB
- Using PubMed data
Related info.: EMDB / PDB / Q: What is the data source of EM Navigator? / EM Navigator / Yorodumi Papers / Changes in new EM Navigator and Yorodumi